Can I place tables side-by-side in Confluence?

Forrest Aldrich November 1, 2017

Is there a way in Confluence to place individual tables side-by-side?  That is, like this:

x x x

instead of this:

x

x

x

Thanks.

4 answers

2 votes
AJ V November 27, 2017

Hello Forrest,

You can use the page layout feature to accomplish this. But I would also look into using the Section/Column macros, they allow for more freedom.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/column-macro-51872396.html

Thanks,

A

Casey Maynard March 22, 2018

The problem with this is that it is not easy to 'align' the rows in the two different sections.

I have a table excertped from one page and then I am tried to created more columns for that original table were I can add more content (which cannot belong in the original table.

Michelle Tucker July 13, 2018

Workaround: I typed a letter on the line above one of the tables & changed the text color to white so it wouldn't show on the published page.  I had to play around with the text formatting but it worked for me and the tables in the 2 sections appear aligned now.

1 vote
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2022

Hi there,

The Stiltsoft team is happy to announce that our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app now provides a new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

1 vote
christian rauber July 7, 2019

This is completely crazy. For $1000000s a year that my company is paying for licenses and we have to write macros? Airtable does this all for you out of the box. This is a complete joke of a product. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

You do not need to write any macros. The ability to do columns can be done multiple ways in Confluence. You can use page layouts, which will give you the ability to create multi row/column layouts on the page. Or, you can use the section and column macros. Those are all built-in. You don't have to write anything.

Casey Maynard July 8, 2019

Yes, the section and column macros do allow users to create side-by-side tables, but the implementation of these is not easy to layout, especially with alignments of the tables.

Unfortunately, as must users have experienced, the idea of a practical solution in the base application is unlikely.  The backlog of requests is not going away, so until there is competition for the versatility of Confluence, Atlassian uses are 'stuck' trying to begrudgingly cobbling together solutions to 'get by' until a better solution provided. 

Like christian rauber likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2019

Most of the time you would not really use the section and column macro for side by side tables. You would more typically use the page layout functionality, which I think is pretty un-technical. The only times you would tend to use the section and column functionality would be if you need to wrap that inside another macro. For instanc if you wanted to put an excerpt macro around tables that were side by side you could not do that with the layout functionality and you cannot wrap a layout with a macro. But I find it pretty easy to do side by side tables right now.

capture.png

Like Noumenon72 likes this
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2017

Yes, you can use page layouts to do this. Checkout https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-layouts-columns-and-sections-275188613.html.

You can also insert section and column macros on any pages. In your case, it might be as simple as adding a new section with 3 columns and placing the tables in those columns.

Forrest Aldrich November 1, 2017

Thank you, this is very helpful.

It doesn't look like I can move a table into another section (bummer) as I already created 6 of them.  Or am I mistaken?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2017

If you position your cursor before the table and hit shift + down arrow till you have selected the whole table you can cut and paste it elsewhere.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events