Can I list crowd directory settings in confluence without switching directory?

Steinar Bang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

Platform:

• Confluence 5.10.2
  • Crowd 2.12.0 (Build:#751 - 2017-04-25)
  • CentOS 7.2.1511

I have just switched Confluence from being managed by the internal directory to using a crowd delegating directory (the same directory currently used by our JIRA instance).

The usernames were the same before and after the switch and I created groups with identical group names in crowd before the switch.

Things seem to mostly work, but I've seen at least one case where group membership didn't seem to work, where the group membership was nested. When I made the user a direct member of the crowd group the user was able to access the page.

So I'm wondering if I remembered to have a checkmark for "nested groups" when setting up the crowd directory?

I didn't see any such setting in the confluence application in crowd.

And I can't see the directory settings in Confluence, since I'm currently logged in through crowd.

Is there any way to list the directory settings without reenabling the internal confluence directory and putting it first in the directory list?

(switching directories will at least during the switch break logins for a lot of people, so I would like to avoid that if I can)

Thanks!

- Steinar

-

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2017

There is a Directory Configuration Summary link on the User Directories page: How to generate a Directory Configuration Summary

That nested groups checkbox is off by default so your theory is sound. If it's off you will see this in the summary:

"useNestedGroups": "false"

I look forward to hearing what you find.

Steinar Bang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Yep, this was it.  I did the following:

1. Enabled the "Confluence Internal Directory" and put it first in the directory list
  2. Opened an incognito chrome instance and logged in with a Confluence Administrator user in the "Confluence Internal Directory"
  3. In the Directory List I was able to edit the crowd directory
  4. The "nested groups" checkbox was unchecked
  5. I put a mark in the "use nested groups" checkbox
  6. I switched the directory order to make the crowd directory be first and asked a user with just group membership to test
  7. The user had the expected privileges from the nested group privileges
  8. I disabled the Confluence Internal Directory again

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events