Can I hide instructional content with projectdoc macro in Confluence?

Scott Eade May 3, 2016

The projectdoc Confluence proivides, amongst other thinfs, three Hide macros

• Hide from Anonymous User Macro
  • Hide from Reader Macro
  • Hide Macro

I get what the first two are for, but the third one seems to do the same thing as the second one. I am curious to know if there is a version that allows me to simply hide content such that it is only rendered when the page is being edited. Sometimes I want to include instructions in a page and this seems like a nice way to do it.

I do note that content in a Document Properties Marker box that is not in the table of properties is only rendered in the editor, so this kind of does what I want, but seems like a hack when Hide Macro would appear to describe what I want.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

All Hide macros are simply shortcuts for specific needs.

The Hide Macro is intended to store values in some not-so-critical-password-like-things-you-probably-do-not-want-to-use use cases smile. Something like admin/admin for an intranet team wiki. Since everyone can see the value in view source, this is of very limited value. The difference to the Hide from Reader Macro is that the content of the Hide Macro is only plain text.

For your use case I suppose you could use a regular Section Macro and hide it with the Hide Parameter. If you need instructions without a title - for instance if you want instructions inside sections - you could also use the Content Marker Macro. The Section Macro has the advantage, that the title is 'greyed out' and could read something like 'Tips for the Author'.

Here is what it would look like in edit mode:

upload.png

And this is the view:

upload2.png

PS: You could also set the level of the "tip section" to make it appear smaller (and may also place it inside sections).

upload3.png

Scott Eade May 5, 2016

Perfect - thanks for your prompt reply. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events