Can I hide elements from only anonymous users via CSS?

Timo Lagus September 30, 2017

I can hide elements from anonymous users via JavaScript, but this usually introduces some flicker, since I have to wait for AJS to initialize.

To avoid the flicker, is there a way to do this directly via CSS, that is, to check for some CSS class specific to anonymous or logged-in users?

I haven't been able to spot any such classes in Confluence page code. If there indeed are none, would this be a technically feasible or sensible feature to request from Atlassian?

I think it would basically be enough to add a class to the <body> or some other high-level element when the user is or is not logged in. I guess this could also be an element attribute rather than a class, since you can also check for attribute values with CSS.

1 answer

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2017

Hi Timo,

I'm afraid no id/class/... is added when an Anonymous user opens your Confluence site. 

You can suggest this feature via jira.atlassian.com if you'd like.

Best,

Maarten

Timo Lagus October 1, 2017

Thanks for the info, Maarten. I'll submit a request.

Cheers,

Timo

Timo Lagus October 1, 2017

I submitted the following request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-53595

Ahmed El Atab December 2, 2021

@Timo Lagus 

I noticed that there are metadata related to signed in users:

<meta name="ajs-remote-user" content="username">
<meta name="ajs-current-user-fullname" content="User's Name">
Timo Lagus December 2, 2021

But you can only read metadata with JavaScript. I cannot access <meta> tags with CSS.

Ahmed El Atab February 23, 2022

Why don't you make the opposite?
Keep those HTML elements hidden until you detect by JS that the user is logged in to display for him!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events