Can I export charts (Pie charts and bar charts) into excel or PowerPoint?

Hazem Ajlani October 3, 2018

I'm trying to export charts from my confluence space to use in a presentation. Is there a way to export the graph? I tried playing around with exporting the space to word and PDF. I tried printing and saving PDF. Ultimately, I want the graphs only. 

Thank you 

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

I can suggest two methods:

1. Some charting plugins save the chart as a PNG attachment to the page. You can download from there.
  2. (This is a good general tip) Newer versions of Firefox have a "Take a Screenshot" widget which is very powerful. It can recognize blocks on a web page, but also allows a custom shape. You can then either download the screenshot or copy to clipboard (10 sec operation). See https://screenshots.firefox.com/

Enjoy!

Hazem Ajlani October 4, 2018

Thanks for the reply.

1. It will not allow me to save chart as PNG. I can save the entire page only. 

2. It's similar to a screenshot. I'm trying to extract the chart to be able to format the chart area, etc.. 

Thank you 

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

Well what you want to do then is to export the underlying data, and use the PowerPoint or Excel to generate the chart. Can't you just copy the data table out of the page?

I'm trying to find a functionality that eliminates the need to copy and paste the data. something that allows me to copy and paste the graph. Similar to from excel to PowerPoint. 

Thanks

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2018

Yeah, you can only copy and paste the rendered graph (PNG). It will not be editable.

Denis King November 26, 2019

Hi, I'm having trouble with same issue and wanted to revisit this to summarize what the recommendations are.

The problem statement is the ability to easily and simply export a chart from confluence and put it into a powerpoint. As a PLM leader, the need for this is weekly and I'm surprised confluence doesn't have an ability to do this simply. To be clear though, the need is to just move the chart "as-is" to ppt. From my perspective, there is no interest in changing the data or the look/feel once it's in ppt. I just need to get it there.

From the above, the two approaches seem to be firefox or export the data and rebuild the chart within ppt? Is that the summary?

FYI - screen capture and pasting the charts results in brutal resolution and a crop nightmare. 

This issue has caused us to look at prodpad as another layer on top of confluence. Propad has other things to offer, but when this is the main reason for looking at this new tool, I feel sad ;)

#therehastobeabetterway

Fred Robillard November 23, 2021

The best way I had found is to take a screenshot and cut it in paint. This is a painful process that bring a poor quality to the graph. No really impress by Atlassian.

Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2021

Hi @Fred Robillard ,

If it happens so that you use the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence (it's our add-on), the Chart from Table macro provides an option to export your graph as an image.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

Hello, Hazem.

While there is no default way of exporting specific macros in Confluence, I tried to play around with a couple of third-party addons specific to page export but could not extract charts only to other an external source. 

May I know the context behind exporting charts only? Are you planning to use it for reporting / presentation purposes?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to extract charts just for presentation. Taking a snapshot wouldn't work because I need specific format and background for the slides and I want to be able to edit the format.

Thanks

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2018

Hi there, Hazem.

You are welcome. I figured as much since anyone can just screen shot and paste it on just almost any other formats. It is the ability of editing and formatting the charts that you are chasing after.

I did some research and could not find any third-party add-ons that is capable of doing this so far. Let us try to gather more thoughts from other users on this for now.

Hi Ahmad.

Thanks again for you help.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2018

Hello, Hazem.

You are most welcome. Any time!

1 vote
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2022

Hi there,

As this question mentions our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app, we are happy to announce its new macro – Table Spreadsheet.

The macro allows you to work with fully functional Excel spreadsheets right in Confluence.

You’ll be able to use cells’ formulas, filters, conditional formatting, etc., create pivot tables and charts from the page view and edit mode.

The Table Spreadsheet macro is available for Cloud and Server/Data Center.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events