Can I embed the expand macro inside a Confluence table?

Camélia Viallet June 12, 2017

I did it and it worked fine in Preview mode, but when I published my page, the expand macro did not work. I click on it and the cell does not expand.

It works properly outside of the table. 

It works fine for the first 3 seconds before the left-side menu is loaded. Then it does not anymore.

What to do? 

Thank you!

3 answers

0 votes
Clare Morey January 4, 2021

I was able to add an expander macro into a cell within a table in Confluence Cloud and it didn't move etc. 

Expand Macro in Confluence table cell.png

0 votes
sknowles December 2, 2020

Bummer, could really use the expand macro inside cells in a table. 

0 votes
Miranda Rawson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Hi Camélia,

Yes, you can add an expand macro inside a table cell.  If you're having issues with this, it may be related to how you're adding it.  We've seen issues when the expand macro is copy-pasted from view mode.  Are you having this issue when adding a fresh expand macro and not copying and pasting?  

Hi Miranda,

Thanks for your answer. Yes I'm having the same issue with freshly added expand macros.

It does seem to work in the very first seconds after I reloaded the page, but it doesn't anymore after 2-3 seconds...

Thank you

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2017

Hi Camélia,

Do you inset Expand macro into the header row of a table? If so, there is an issue with table sorter.

No, it is in a regular cell, not in the header row. 

Thank you for your answer!

Miranda Rawson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Camélia,

Your comment about it not working after the left side bar loads made me wonder if you have a third-party add-on which is interfering with the expand macro.  So I'd ask you to try the following: 

• Run Confluence in Safe Mode
  • Try in another browser

In both cases test to see if the expand macro works again.

Let me know how it goes!

Jonathan Phipps July 6, 2017

Also observing this issue since the latest UI updates..

Unable to test safe mode or another browser due to restrictions.

dostrander-aptos-com July 10, 2017

Also observing this issue recently only, possibly since the latest UI updates.

Firefox, Chrome, IE all yield the same results. 

Rodrigo July 21, 2017

Hi @Miranda RawsonI am having the same issue with an Expand into a regular cell created from a fresh macro. and copied the Expand content from a notepad (simple text)

I am using Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)

Doug Haller December 10, 2019

macroissue.PNGThe latest version of Confluence with different tables does not support adding the macro to a row. It drops it to the bottom, outside, of the table.

Like # people like this
Jennifer Tupaea February 10, 2020

I have found the same issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events