Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I dynamically populate the fields of a table, based on values introduced on another table?

Marina Culeasca October 14, 2020

Hi,

Lets say I have two separate tables in which I keep different information regarding same items (Jira tickets) - table 1 with info about the team, start/end date, etc, and table 2 with issues encounter working with/on that ticket. 

1. Can I dynamically populate some fields from table 2, with info from table 1, based on values introduced on a certain column in table 1? 

I mean, if in table 1 I have a column in which I introduce YES/NO based on if I had issues or not when working with that ticket, and if the answer is YES, to dynamically populate Ticket NO from table 2, with the number of the ticket introduced in table 1

Thanks! 

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2020

Hi @Marina Culeasca ,

We can suggest trying our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

Wrap your Table 1 in the Table Excerpt macro:

Issues 1.pngIssues 3.pngThen reuse your Table 1 with the help of the Table Excerpt Include macro and wrap it and your Table 2 first in the Table Transformer and then in the Table Filter macro.

Issues 2.pngUse the Table Transformer macro to look up your tables by the unique 'Key' field:

Issues 4.pngAnd set the Table Filter macro to show only rows with the 'YES' issue encounter:

Issues 5.pngIssues 6.pngNow your result Table 2 will look as required when the page is published:

Issues 7.pngNote that if your Confluence hosting type is Cloud, you'll need the Table Toolbox macro to nest several macros due to the new editor limitations.

Daisy Fischlein Steffensen November 24, 2020

@Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} I am looking to do the same thing.. I think. Only I would like to make a table consisting of data from JIRA and one column that will be filled out manually. 

I can't figure out from the example above how to do to that? The example above seems to be all manually entered data?

Can you help me?

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi @Daisy Fischlein Steffensen ,

The basic conception is the same: you insert the Table Transformer macro and wrap two tables inside its body - the Jira Issues table and an additional manually created table for your comments.

Wed 1-1.pngTo lookup the tables, you'll need a unique field. As we don't use any custom fields, I choose the standard 'Key' field to serve this purpose.

Now go to the Table Transformer macro settings and enter the following custom SQL query:

SELECT T1.'Key', T1.'Summary', T1.'Created', T1.'Assignee', T1.'Status', T2.'Manually Added Comment' FROM T1 JOIN T2 ON T1.'Key' = T2.'Key'

As you can see, the query is very simple: you define the columns (and their order as well!) that you want to show in the result table and lookup the two tables by the 'Key' column.

Wed 1-2.pngAnd here is the result when the page is published:

Wed 1-3.pngHope this helps.

Like # people like this
Daisy Fischlein Steffensen December 3, 2020

Thanks I made it work.. only some of my colleagues has their default browser language set to "Danish".

That means that the JIRA column "Key" is translated to "Nøgle".. this ruins the mapping between the two tables. 

It looks correct for me, because my browser language is English. 

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle that, so everyone viewing the table will see the table correctly?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2020

@Daisy Fischlein Steffensen , modify your SQL query a little bit to check both variants of the "Key" field:

Previous version

SELECT T1.'Key', T1.'Summary', T1.'Created', T1.'Assignee', T1.'Status', T2.'Manually Added Comment' FROM T1 JOIN T2 ON T1.'Key' = T2.'Key'

New version

SELECT COALESCE(T1.'Key', T1.'Nøgle') AS 'Key', T1.'Summary', T1.'Created', T1.'Assignee', T1.'Status', T2.'Manually Added Comment' FROM T1 JOIN T2 ON COALESCE(T1.'Key', T1.'Nøgle') = COALESCE(T2.'Key', T2.'Nøgle')

Besides with the function COALESCE(T1.'English field name', T1.'Danish field name') AS 'English field name' you can check other Jira fields (such as Summary, Created, Assignee, etc.) so that they will be shown despite the language settings and in English. It seems that other fields are also translated in Danish for your colleagues, so you need to modify the query for them as well.

Trina Peck July 20, 2022

@Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} I'm looking at this second answer using the Table Transformer macro you provided to Daisy. My question for you is how did you populate the Key column in T2?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2022

The Key column in T2 is populated manually - you type in the issue key in the first column and some comments and other notes into other columns.

T2 shouldn't always match T1. For example, you may have 10 rows (10 issues) coming from the Jira Issues macro. But you want to leave comments only for the two specific issues. So, your T2 will consist of the header row and two data rows (the keys of these two issues and your comments).

Kapil Podduturi June 22, 2023

Hi @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} , can the above be achieved without using the addon on the cloud version?

My client is a Gov agency and to get approvals to add any addons is very tedious.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2023

Hi @Kapil Podduturi ,

I'm not sure that it's possible natively. The closest hit may be just to reuse one of the tables via the standard Excerpt/Excerpt Include macros and view the two tables on one page but without merging them.

Or you may work, for example, in Excel and then use the Excel macro or copy/paste your result table in Confluence manually.

Like # people like this
Kapil Podduturi June 22, 2023

Thank you for your reply.

Like Stiltsoft support likes this
Luana da Silva Machado August 23, 2023

Hey, 

Do you know if I can add a live search in a table imported from Jira?
Since the info is not actually In Confluence I cannot search directly in the Confluence search field. Is there a macro or a plugin or something that allows me to do that?

Thank you

Katerina Rudkovskaya _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2023

Hi @Luana da Silva Machado,

In this thread we are talking about our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app. Its macros support the Jira Issues macro as well. So, for the case, you may wrap the Jira Issues macro in the Table Filter macro and set the required filters (free text, date range, dropdown).If you are not familiar with the app, we’ll be happy to arrange a live demo for you and your team. Please book a suitable time slot here.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Shivani Gour
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2024

@Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft} 

How to merge a Jira snapshot and a manual table together in Confluence page?

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2024

Hi @Shivani Gour ,

As far as we understand, you are referring to another 3rd party app that creates snapshots from Jira. Maybe you should apply to their support.

Shivani Gour
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2024

Hi I am talking about below element on Confluence and I want to merge a manual table with this

iScreen Shoter - 20240227230551832.pngiScreen Shoter - Google Chrome - 240227230526.png

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2024

So, visit the link given in the reply above and refer to their support.

0 votes
sridhar vaidyanathan September 19, 2023

Hello, 
  I followed the instructions on getting an additional column added to JIRA. However, the JIRA issue/filter macro doesn't render cleanly when I am in edit mode. This makes is harder to create a duplicate table with the relevant keys, while I am in edit mode. How do I overcome this?

Screenshot 2023-09-19 143315.png

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2023

Hi @sridhar vaidyanathan ,

Unfortunately, this is the way the Jira Issues macro works. 

sridhar vaidyanathan September 20, 2023

Thanks. I am curious how to get the view that @Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}  response shows:

Wed 1-1.png

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2023

The screenshot was taken for Confluence Cloud, that's all - there are no any special settings for the macro.

For Data Center/Server the macro is always shown as on your screenshot:

Tue 3-1.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events