Can I display a subset of data from a table on a different page?

Jeff Clark January 30, 2018

I would like to create a page with a table that contains 10 columns for gathering data about a group of virtual machines that I manage.  I would like to use this single table to contain data like name, create date, desc, region, userid, password, etc.  I'll call this table the Master table.  I will restrict access to this page so only I can see and edit it.

On another page I would like to have another table that only displays a subset of the columns from the Master table.  For example, I will have a vm credential page that only displays the columns for Name, userid, and password.  Then I can restrict access to that page for only the users who I want to see the vm login information.

I will repeat this process and create other specific pages that display only the data I'd like to show from the Master table, restricting access to only the users who need to see that data.

I was thinking that I could put the master table in a multi excerpt region and display that data on other pages, but I don't think this will work.

I'm not able to find a way to only select and display 3 columns from the 10 columns on the master table.

Has anyone tried or succeeded at doing something like this before?  If so, I'd really appreciate hearing about your project.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeff

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

Hello Jeff,

Table Filter macro can hide columns of a table, but it is not secure. I think there is only one way to make it secure: to create a copy of the table on other pages and set page permissions.

Jeff Clark February 1, 2018

Table filter wrapped around an excerpt include worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help Andrey.

Jeff

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2018

You are welcome, Jeff!

Casey Maynard March 14, 2018

The problem with that is that if if you have multiple pages references the original table the filters to not work independently on the new pages.

Page 1: if you filter table on this page, Page 2 and Page 3 are also filtered

Page 2: this works oK, but if you change the filter that carried over from page 1 it changes the filter on page 1

Page 3: if you change the filter on page 3 it changes the filter on page 2

So you can only filter one way on a different pages

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2018

It can't work by definition - the excerpt is displaying the original content, so if you change it, you're changing the source, which then gets re-rendered in the pages that include it, because you've altered it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2018

Here is the original answer:

You need to include only table without Table Filter macro from the main page and add separate Table Filter macros to page 2 and 3.

Barb Cooley February 22, 2019

I can't seem to get this to work. 

- I created a source table on page 1 (no table filter - just a plain table) and put it inside a multi-excerpt.

- I created a page 2 and added a table filter with a multi-excerpt include inside it.

- I edited the table filter and selected "Hide Columns," and then I selected two columns that I did not want to show on page 2. 

- I saved the table filter and the page 2.

- I still see all of the original columns from page 1.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

P.S.  The "Hide Filters" box does not seem to save.  When I click on the gear icon the "Save" option is grayed out.  I click on the regular save button but when I go back in there are no columns listed in the "Hide" box.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2019

This is strange, looks like a bug. Please, contact StiltSoft support to resolve the issue. Support will need to know your Table Filter and Charts app version.

Like Simon Kirby likes this
Stephane Lejuif May 21, 2019

I was able to make Barb's case work on the current version of Confluence we have. Barb could you check you have done these 2 steps below in the table filters macro

1 - Within the "Filters" Section, tick the "Hide columns" box, and nothing more to do.

2 - In the "Filtration" section, go to "Set filters' default values" and in the appropriate location select the columns you want to hide, and save from here.

If you do not do 1 you will not be able to do 2. Hope this might help.

1 vote
John Corwith September 25, 2019

Put your data in an Excel spreadsheet and use the Office Excel macro on each of the pages. One can show you all the data, for the others you can specify the last column of data you want to show. You'd have to order your data so that the left most column(s) are the ones everyone can see... Or, you can put all the data on one worksheet in the Excel file, and have additional worksheets in that file that just display the columns you want. I'm not sure on how permissions would come into play.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events