Can I create a table that shows data from child pages on the parent page?

Bill Blinn August 8, 2017

I've been asked to create a parent page that will have a series of child pages with detailed information about events. The request includes the ability to extract specific information from the child pages (start date, clearance date, cause) for use in a table on the parent page.

The child pages will contain large amounts of descriptive text that should not be included on the parent page.

The Content Report Table doesn't do what I need and using Excerpt and Excerpt Include would be painful for the user.

I found https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-aggregate-the-contents-of-certain-section-of-a-page-on/qaq-p/314436, which describes a macro. This might work, but I am not a system administrator. Is it possible for a space administrator to add such a macro to a specific page?

Or is there a better option that I'm missing?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christo Mastoroudes [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

The system admin will have to create the macro, but once it is created any user with page edit permission should be able to use the macro on the page.

The tricky bit might be to pull exactly the information you want from those child pages. The proposed solution on the link you provided looks ok, but also requires the same unique label for each page in the page hierarchy. It might be possible to just get all the decendants instead of searching for pages with labels.

0 votes
Bill Blinn August 9, 2017

Thanks. For now we'll have to use a manual process. If one of the system managers ever has time, perhaps we can automate it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events