Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create a maker-checker workflow for page submissions, to avoid inappropriate information being added to the WIKI?

Geoff Ford February 11, 2015

My company's audit department requires that no sensitive information (usernames, passwords, etc) is stored in the Confluence WIKI.  As a sledgehammer approach to crack this particular walnut, they are requesting page level access entitlements being introduced across the whole WIKI to guard access to this kind of information. This is against the whole ethos of an open information store, providing knowledge to all.

I am looking for an approach that allows pages to be created/amended by a submitter (the maker), but not be visible (or available in the page change history) until the page has been approved by a second individual (the checker)?  This would then make the checker accountable and reduce the likelihood of occurrence to a reasonable level, satisfying the audit viewpoint.

The use case would be something like this:

The maker edits/creates the page and saves it - at this point the page changes are hidden from both the current page and its history.  The checker receives an email with the link to the amended/new page, so that the checker can review it.

The checker should have two options approval/reject the page.  Approving the page will make it visible and added to the page's history; Rejecting the page allows the checker to add a comment on why it is rejected, and emails the maker with a link to the (still hidden page) with the comments.

The maker either receives an email indicating the page was accepted, or that it was rejected.  If rejected, the email contains the link to the (hidden) page, allowing them to revise it and resubmit.

The checker should be the immediate line manager of the submitter, as identified from say LDAP.

1 answer

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2015

I think the best way to do this that I can think would be to have a draft space where pages can be edited prior to being made live. The checked could watch the draft space and would receive notification whenever the make did something. Once they are approved you could either move the page to the appropriate space or copy the content if the page already exists.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events