Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I convert text in a template to Instructional Text?

Jon Watson July 5, 2018

I'm using Confluence 6.10.

I have a Confluence page/doc we want to turn into a template. I've created a template in my personal space and copy/pasted the content from the doc into the new template. We have some text which should be converted to Instructional Text, but I can't seem to convert text to Instructional Text or copy/paste text into an Instructional Text block.

Am I missing something, or do I really have type all this text in again?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2018

You should be able to cut the text and paste it into an instructional block. I'm able to do it in my Server and Cloud environment.

Jon Watson July 12, 2018

So the problem I'm having is that I can't seem to paste (CTRL-V) copied text into the Instructional Text once I've created it. I can paste the text to other parts of the page (e.g. regular paragraph) or outside the browser to other apps, so I know there is data in the clip board.
I'm wondering if this is a browser compatibility problem.... I've been using FireFox 61 / 64-bit on Windows 7. I was meaning to try it on Chrome or IE, but haven't had a chance.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2018

Yep, it's Firefox that is the issue. It works with Chrome. Not sure if it is a Firefox bug or a bug with how Confluence work with Firefox, but either way I see the same behavior in Firefox.

Like Marta Lopez Reyes _UOC_ likes this
Jon Watson July 12, 2018

Thanks for confirming that something really is wrong / I'm not just doing something dumb! :)

Ritu Sangha April 17, 2020

Do you seriously expect me to 'pre-edit' everything before adding it to confluence!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seriously had it with the rigidity of this application.
Why can't you allow me to choose the font size and line spacing in the tool bar like all Mature applications?

Bob MacWilliams April 30, 2021

The limitations and quirks of this app drive me crazy. You can easily waste hours trying to do something uber simple like paste into an instructional text block. Terrible.

1 vote
Biró Bálint Sándor July 12, 2018

Hi @Jon Watson,
@Davin Studer's soluition works well if you know a litte tweak.
Make sure to replace all the paragraph breaks in your text with line breaks .
(You can do it quickly in Word -> Find what: '^p' and Replace with: '^l')
Then you can paste your text as instructional text.

// How it works:
If you type something in the instructional text block and hit Enter, the block breaks/ends. But if you press Shift+Enter, the block continues in the next line. And this is what you need.

Jon Watson July 12, 2018

Thanks for that tip.... I don't think it is my specific problem, but it is useful/good to know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events