Can I convert existing wiki pages to use a new template?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

I read the question in two different ways.  The second one was what Aleks has covered.

The first was "I created a page with template X, I should have used template Y, can I convert?".  To which the answer is "no" - a template in Confluence is literally a template.  When you create something from it, you get a page with preset stuff on it for you to edit.  The template has nothing to do with the page after that initial population.  There's no link between them, and changing a template has no effect on existing pages.

Thanks for your response. I better be sure my template is final before I start to create content.

Hi,
If you would like to convert an existing page to a template, you can copy the content from the page and paste it into the template editor. There is no automated way of doing this. 

Here is what you need: https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf54/confluence-user-s-guide/creating-content/working-with-templates/adding-a-template

Thanks very much for your response. I was hoping there would be some automated method of retroactively applying templates. This means that a template must be designed and approved 100% before it can be used.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,691 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you