Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I click on a profile picture and see a bigger version

jeff scattini March 9, 2014

Our company is growing in size and we are maintaining multiple offices. It would be great if we could click on a coworker's personal profile picture and be able to see a larger version.

Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

Hi Jeff,

If you do a search for a user of a given name you one of your search results will be a link to the profile of that user. Unfortuantely the profile page is just a blown up version of the avatar image that person is using and is often distorted.

I might suggest that you encourage new hires to create a public personal space and upload a couple pictures of themselves. It is also a great place for a quick blurb. That way going to a user's personal space will tell you a lot more about the user.

Just as a further heads up there is no way at present to grab information like phone, number or picture from an LDAP directory. The only thing that can come across that wire is UserName and email.

jeff scattini March 10, 2014

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the answer! It's not the solution I was hoping for, but your workarounds should do a lot to help employees identify each other.

Thanks!

1 vote
anthonytod July 23, 2014

Is there a JIRA ticket somewhere for the avatar sizing issue I can vote +1 on?

Almost everyone I speak to see's the people directory as "almost useful" for the very reason the avatars are just too small.

A decent sized avatar is a huge help for new starters in any company.

Can we get this "fixed" in the product, rather than a variety of workarounds?...

Thanks.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2014

It is possible if you don't upload photos in Confluence. When you upload a photo in Confuence it resizes the photo to 48x48. However, if you use the SOAP api to upload a photo to a user's profile it will maintin the size that you upload it at. I would recomment 96x96 as it falls within Atlassian's user interface guidlines ... according to the below link. Then you just set some custom css to override the explicit 48x48 size that atlassian put on the profile page. The below css should get the images to show at full resolution. You would put it in Confluence Admin -> Look and Feel -> Stylesheet.

img.userLogo.logo {
    width: auto !important;
    height: auto !important;
}

You could also do this with javascript so that you could check if indeed you are on the profile page and then only apply css override on that page. That would look something like this and you would put it on the Confluence Admin -> Look and Feel -> Custom HTML -> At end of the BODY.

<script type="text/javascript">
var url = window.location.pathname;

if(url.indexOf('/display/~') != -1 || url.indexOf('viewmyprofile.action') != -1) {
    AJS.$('img.userLogo.logo').css('width', 'auto');
    AJS.$('img.userLogo.logo').css('height', 'auto');
}
</script>

I would recommend the javascript version as CSS version would apply to every page on the site and could affect more than you want.

https://docs.atlassian.com/aui/latest/docs/avatars.html

Deleted user March 24, 2016

The javascript worked great for us, but needed a couple tweaks.

• Changed 'viewmyprofile.action' to 'viewuserprofile.action'.  Not sure if this was a typo or if the URL changed in newer versions
  • Added an additional CSS element.

AJS.$('#title-heading').css('padding','0 0 40px 0');

This was to keep the horizontal border below the pic and to keep the navigation menu aligned.  We set to avatar height to 96x96 so 40px gave us the needed padding.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events