Can I add Slack subscription for individuals to a Confluence wiki page without their involvement?

talcheh September 23, 2021

Hi

I have a Confluence space and integration set up with Slack already. Myself and co-workers can subscribe Slack channels to Confluence pages in the space.

However, I would have liked to know if it's possible to Slack subscribe co-workers to Confluence pages without the need for them to write in their Slack bot the command to subscribe to the Confluence page.

Meaning, in the Slack Notification option of the Confluence page, instead of a channel, @<person> to subscribe the person to the page.

Is that possible?..

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2021

Hello, and welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to have you join us. :) 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to subscribe other users to Confluence pages to receive notifications, and we don't have plans to do that.

We recommend that you have all users subscribe to personal notifications via /confluence notify. Then, when they are mentioned on the page or are watching a page, they will receive notifications from it, using Slack to its full potential.

Otherwise, there are two alternative solutions:

• Ask everyone to subscribe to a specific page along with its subpages. Then, authors can create pages beneath it, and users will receive a notification.
  • Create a separate space that explicitly targets the content you want people notified about, and ask everyone to subscribe to that space.

I hope that helps, but let us know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Shannon

talcheh September 29, 2021

Hi Shannon

Thanks you for taking the time to answer me back, and for the warm welcome :)

The options you mentioned are not applicable for how we use the Confluence - we want to be able to create pages/sub-pages that will serve as discussion topics, so every time specific persons and not a whole team needs to be part of that ongoing discussion, may be added without reaching them first to manually add themselves to it, thereby saving the time to reach out to them just to be added to the discussion.

The idea is that each topic might require different personnel participate in it.

The feature to add Slack individual channels is crucial and would remove the need to create multiple "group channels" for each individual, for the sake of the discussions space..

Can this option be considered to be added sometime in the future, please?

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2021

Hello, and thank you for the reply and for providing your feedback about the recommended workaround.

Unfortunately, I consulted with the Slack integration team directly, and they confirmed they have no plans to introduce this as a feature. Still, you're welcome to raise a feature request at jira.atlassian.com.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events