Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate cycle time of an epic

srinath_17 September 7, 2020

Would like to calculate actual cycle time of an epic (Not from the created date to resolved) it should be based on the one of the linked story start date( pulled in to sprint).

3 answers

1 vote
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 8, 2020

Hello @srinath_17 

If your task has been involved in a workflow, you can try Time between statuses (server version). It allows you to set Start and Stop statuses for time calculation. But in case you need the number of tasks in the epic, this tool won't help you. 

Have a nice day:)time betweren statyuses.jpeg

0 votes
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 8, 2020

Hi @srinath_17 ,

Enhancer Plugin for Jira allows you to measure time spent between date fields/statuses/events. For your use case, you can populate a date-time custom field when the linked issue starts and then use this date to configure the Enhancer custom field: Time between custom field.Time between.png

You can then track the cycle time like this:

image2017-8-23+12_48_21.pngPlease note that I'm one of the folks behind Enhancer plugin for Jira, there might be other solutions out there and I might not be impartial.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
September 7, 2020

Hello,

The only way to do this as you describe it would be developing some custom code, which is complex. The sensible solution would be to make sure your Epic workflow reflects your stories' workflows and still make the measurement based on Epic workflow.

I suggest you configure your Story workflows to make the linked Epic issue transition from, let's say, Open to InProgress when the story has started. You can do something similar when the last story is resolved and transition the Epic, let's say, from InProgress to Resolved. This way your Epics' InProgress times will show the cycle time for those Epics.

You can probably do this automation with apps like Jira Workflow Toolbox, Automation for Jira or Script Runner. There are probably others but these are the ones at the top of my mind. The exact steps to configure the Story workflow is actually too complex for me to explain here but you can find other questions&answers in the community about "transitioning linked issues".

At that point you will be ready to use your Epic workflow times as Cycle Time. For that, our team at OBSS created Time in Status app.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee as well as entry/exit dates for all statuses. If you have longer workflows, you can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Issue AgeCycle Time or Lead Time.

You can get the app to calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the average Issue Age per project and per issuetype.)

All data can be exported as XLS, XLSX, CSV. The app introduces a REST API for accessing the calculated report output. All the report data can also be visualized by various chart types.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

Emre Toptancı

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events