Bypass SSO Confluence

Michiel Bakker May 9, 2019

Hello People,

I am using SAML in my Data Center Confluence. We have an environment that is not working with production user names and passwords. How can i let people log in without SAML?

The url with nosso does not work

Greets Michiel

5 answers

1 vote
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2019

Hi Michiel,

before I am the next one telling you buy our 3rd Party SAML Plugin as it can do what I guess you want.

I don't quite understand your real challenge here - could you tell me a bit more?

It sounds like the environment you are talking may be some kind of Dev/Testing one, if you are not using production accounts.

• One simple Way may be to turn off SAML and just use local Username/Password accounts?
  • Another one if you need to use Accounts via SAML and local accounts would be not to use SAML as the primary method, so that Users can login with Username/Password but get a button to also be able to choose via SAML.

Like the other guys said, there many more Ways if you use a 3rd Party Plugin - ours which is the marketleader at support at least 5 different Ways.

But I hope you can see all of this us guesswork until you give me more context.

- Tell me more about your envrioment, if it's test/dev how does it get generated?
- How are the Users created / synchronized (LDAP? DB copy?)?
- Anything else that you think may be helpful

Cheers,
Christian

Michiel Bakker August 11, 2019

We use remote desktops to technically control our applications. To log in on the remote desktops we use admin accounts. When you start Confluence on this remote desktop Confluence will log in with (SAML) and use the admin credentials. These credentials are not permitted.

So i want a Confluence URL where users are able to fill in there "normal' credentials. 

Cheers Michiel

1 vote
Bedrijfsbureau ICT May 9, 2019

Why do i have the feeling that this are 2 commercial talkes? 

1 vote
Lokesh Naktode_miniOrange
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 9, 2019

Hi @Michiel Bakker ,

It seems like you are looking for functionality where some of the users can log in through their default username and password even if the SAML is enabled.

It seems you are using the inbuilt SAML of the Confluence Data Center which is very limited in term of functionality.  I suggest go with the 3rd party SAML SSO App i.e. miniOrange SAML SSO Plugin for Confluence which will provide you feature you are looking for. Here, 

1. You will be able to customize the login form which allows users to choose their authentication method(SSO/default login).
  2. You can force users to login via SSO or using the default login form based on their domains.

It is also available for a free trial so you can test it with your use case and if you need any help, you can reach out to miniOrange support through the email: atlassiansupport@miniorange.com or through the customer portal.

Thanks,

Lokesh

Full Discloser: I work for the miniOrange one of the top Atlassian Marketplace vendor.

1 vote
Jon Espen Ingvaldsen Kantega SSO
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2019

Hi @Michiel Bakker .

Do you use the native SAML feature in Data Center Confluence? 

These features are a bit limited when you have multiple user groups requiring different login mechanism and you want to combine traditional username / password login and SSO alternatives. SSO apps on the Atlassian Marketplace gives you a richer set of features here.

I work for Kantega SSO, one of the top Marketplace vendors, and I am happy to show different alternatives for combining SAML authentication with username / password login.

• The ?nosso parameter is one alternative - Giving no-sso users a backdoor to be authenticated.
  • You can also customize the login-screen to ask for the username only, and based on the domain of the user or the user directory he / she is stored we can ask for a password or send the user to an Identity Provider for authentication (through SAML).
  • Another alternative is to show the normal login screen, but redirect the user to SAML authentication after a specified number of seconds.

You can download an evaluate our data center app for free, and just reach out to our support team if you need any assistance or want to schedule a demo.

Regards,
Jon Espen
Kantega SSO

0 votes
Igor K_ August 8, 2023

I am here talking about server and data center (DC) editions of Jira and Confluence.

If you have a working SSO account, you can log out and get login page with username and password:

Skjermbilde 2023-08-08 092724.png

Usually this requires that the system is configured to allow bypassing SSO authentication.

• Try following linksURLs <BASE_URL>/login.action?auth_fallback or <BASE_URL>/login.action?nosso

Read more on the subject at Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events