Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk method for updating links when splitting a Confluence cloud instance into two instances

Helen Gosper August 11, 2022

If splitting a single Confluence cloud instance into two separate instances, the impact on links would be as follows. 'New instance A' has no incoming links from the original instance (let's call it 'Instance Zero'). So that's a non-issue. However, 'Instance Zero'  contains many incoming links from 'New Instance A'.

Other than the painful process of individually updating these links (eg to tiny urls or hard coded), does anyone know of a method to do this in bulk in cloud? I.e. a way to identify and rectify such links? Or any way of avoiding the issue via 'Instance Zero' recognising 'Instance A''s links without need to change them. Pretty sure I'm dreaming on that one, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2022

@Helen Gosper yes you are dreaming. ;-) Splitting instances is not a common event, and I doubt anyone has developed an automated process.

Just curious, what is driving you to split instances?

Helen Gosper August 18, 2022

It's only a thought bubble at this stage, not a decision. The rationale is cost-based, essentially.

We have a publoicly-facing space dedicated to end user documentation, which is open to customers without needing to log in (i.e, 'anonymous'). Only a handful of our team members have or need permission to edit that space. 

We have a conglomeration of internal spaces that we use for collaboration, link with Jira, all the usual stuff. With several hundred users.

Hence, the public facing space attracts the same user-based cost tiers for all its apps etc. Many of which we DON''T use internally, btw.

Clear as mud @Bill Bailey   ?

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

Yeah, I understand what you are going for. Years ago, I built a similar solution at another company I worked for. We had:

• Internal "intranet" Confluence server behind a firewall. We would develop our documentation here,
  • Customer doc server outside our firewall with anon access (but behind a customer portal with user logins). At the time, it ran on a $10/10 user server license (and had a small subset of plugins that were installed on the internal server).

We then used a plugin from K15t to publish pages from the internal server to the external doc server, with a mirrored space/page structure to preserve the page links,

0 votes
jameswise August 11, 2022

If you are splitting a Confluence instance into two, the links will be broken between the two instances. You will need to update the links on both sides to point to the new location.

Helen Gosper August 18, 2022

Which is why my question is asking if anyone knows a bulk method for updating said links. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events