Bulk Reenabling Users

Rodney Sawyer February 25, 2019

We have had a small team using an instance of Confluence for a few years.  Over time we disabled users that were not actively using it to stay under our 500 user limit.  Now we have upgraded to a 10000 user license and are preparing to roll it out to the entire organization... So i need to re-enable hundreds of accounts we disabled.  I do not really want to go through clicking the "Enable" button hundreds of times. 

Also, if this helps, I am going to be changing and/or adding new User Directory options to pull in everyone instead of just IT.. if a user is disabled already but now in the new directory will they will be disabled? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2019

Hello Rodney,

The problem you’re describing can be an issue when dealing with the volume of users you have licensed. Ideally, when you’re dealing with this many users, you would want to control the users through an external directory instead of the internal directory. Using an external directory would allow you to have better control of groups and accounts across all of the Atlassian tools.

You do have options for external directories you can configure with Confluence and other Atlassian tools. You may find more about user directories at Configuring User Directories.

An alternative would be to use the Atlassian tool named Crowd which helps with managing users across the Atlassian tools. The Crowd application does have a REST API to allow for automation and bulk management of users within the Atlassian tools. You may find more about Crowd at Single sign-on and user identity that's easy to use.

Without the use of an external user directory or Crowd, you will have to edit the user manually as there is no bulk options or available REST API to do this within Confluence itself.

I hope this proves helpful and give some guidance on how to move forward with better control of users management.

Regards,

Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events