Bulk Changing Page Restrictions

DIBS Drift March 1, 2019

Is it really not possible to bulk change Page Restrictions (not permissions) for like all pages in a space?

We have a space with a couple hundred pages, all with specific page restrictions to a user which is not here anymore

The user taking over needs to take over these permissions to see and edit the pages but is unable to.

Is there really no other way than clicking through the page restrictions button on every single page and adding the user?, this is unbelievable -the user is even Space Admin but to no avail.

4 answers

1 vote
Stella Schneider -Smateso- January 15, 2023

Hi there!

If anyone is still searching for a solution on how to manage multiple space and page permissions without scripting in Confluence here it is!

We just released our new app “Permission Management for Confluence”.

So feel free to give it a try and let us now, if you like it or what you need.

Best regards

Stella

1 vote
Thomas Heylen February 12, 2021

You can use Scriptrunner to do this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215215/scriptrunner-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

They have build-in scripts which are easy to use. 

Steve Letch July 19, 2021

Unfortunately there's big drawbacks with scriptrunners built in scripts. the bulk page restrictions doesn't have any add feature, only remove and replace.

So all you can do is turn off restrictions entirely, or set a new list of people who can view. You can;t for example explicitly add your admin group as explicit viewews or editors en-masse.

Also, a drawback with the attachment versions script is the number of hits it gets, is determined by the hits you'd get when using quick search, this means you'll only be able to see and remove attachment versions from restricted pages you have explicit view rights to :(

Like Thomas Heylen likes this
1 vote
Ally Lancaster October 4, 2020

I realise that this is a very old post, however; a better way to manage this would be to utilise the user group function in confluence.

For example

1. Create a user group called 'technical-doc-editor'
  2. Add appropriate users to this group
  3. Within 'Space Tools' go to Permissions then Restricted Pages and update each page so that the group, 'technical-doc-editor' has edit permissions
  4. Now, when someone leaves and a new person joins the team you only have to remove the older user from the group and add the new person in

I realise this is not a solution to your question about how to bulk update Page Restrictions but hopefully it makes managing these pages easier.

0 votes
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

Hi,

If you are a Space Administrator, you can go to the space permissions and see all page restrictions in this space and easily delete these restrictions.

See all information here "Add or Remove Page Restriction"

DIBS Drift March 1, 2019

Yes we know that one

You'll have to press every single one of the pages in the list and then press the page restrictions (padlock) button, and THEN you can add/remove the restrictions

With 100'erds of pages in that list it is a quite cumbersome and slow process

Thats why i'm asking 

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

As far is I have tested, you do not have to go to the pages. 

In the list of the restricted pages, just click the padlock and the restriction will be deleted. Then you will redirected to the page information of that page. 

Possible solution:

1. Go to the overview of the page restrictions
  2. Click the padlock on the right site with pressed CTRL Button. 
  3. In a new tab the page information opens
  4. Refresh the the overview of the page restrictions and the restriction should not be there anymore. This will fasten your work. 

I hope this workaround works for you. Let me know if it helps. 

Like # people like this
Rashmi Ratnani January 25, 2024

Hi Dominic 

This solution works well for removing the restrictions in bulk. What about if we want to add restrictions to multiple pages at once? Is that possible?

/RR

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events