Building out QA Test

Mel Keilwert October 4, 2019

I have a parent page, and then for each of the tools/sections of the product I'm testing for an update I have a child page. 

If there is a fail status, I would like that to display on the parent page, so a developer-only has to check the parent page to see where the test failed, so he/she can quickly find and fix the problem and the information is concise. 

How can I have a parent page that updates when a child page gets a status "failed" at any point in the tables/information? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2019

Hey there, @Mel Keilwert !

We can surely achieve this with native Confluence macros. We actually have two options on how to deal with this.

I would like to share the Page Properties Macro way first. The Page Properties and Page Properties Report macros are a duo of macros that work in tandem to provide information for the users. Here is how we can proceed with this method:

Page Properties Macro

1. Create a new Parent page
  2. Publish it
  3. Create the children page of the newly created parent page
  4. Add a table with Two Rows
  5. In the first row, add the desired value column name
  6. In the second row, add the desired values (here is where you need to insert the Status)
  7. Publish the page
  8. Add a specific label to it (we will need this label later)
  9. Go to the parent page of the newly created page
  10. Edit it
  11. Insert the Page Properties Report macro
  12. In the macro settings, specify the label you created later
  13. Save the macro settings
  14. Publish the page
  15. Done

This will keep the status updated in the parent page without the need to edit it each time. The downside is that the Page Properties Report macro will display a single line of the table. Another advantage is that every page that contains the same label as the one you specified will be added here without the need of further tinkering.

Here is what it should look like:

Excerpt Include inside parent page in edit mode:

ExcerptIncludeEdit.jpg

Excerpt Include inside parent page in view mode:ExcerptIncludeView.jpg

Excerpt macro inside child page in edit mode:ExcerptMacroEdit.jpg

Excerpt macro inside child page in view mode:ExcerptMacroView.jpg

The next method involves using another duet. I am talking about the Excerpt and Excerpt Include Macro. This method also guarantees that the parent page will be updated without the need for manual intervention. Here is how:

Excerpt Include Macro

1. Create a new Parent page
  2. Publish it
  3. Create the children page of the newly created parent page
  4. Add the Excerpt Macro
  5. Include everything that you need to display in the parent page inside this macro
  6. Publish the page
  7. Go back to the parent page
  8. Edit it
  9. Insert the Excerpt Include macro
  10. Specify the page where you placed the Excerpt macro earlier
  11. Save the macro
  12. Publish the page

This method is a little different from the previous one. Here, everything that is inserted into the Excerpt macro will be shown within the parent page that contains the Excerpt Include Macro. This can be beneficial if you have multiple lines of statuses. One downside is that you need to manually insert the Excerpt in each new page and go back to your parent page to include a new Excerpt Include macro so that it displays the updates.

Here is what it should look like:

Page Properties Macro inside child page in edit mode:

PagePropertiesMacroEdit.jpg

Page Properties Macro inside child page in view mode:

PagePropertiesMacroView.jpg

Page Properties Report Macro inside parent page in edit mode:

PagePropertiesReporEdit.jpg

Page Properties Report Macro inside parent page in view mode:

PagePropertiesReporView.jpg

Here is our documentation on both macros, Mel:

Looking forward to your reply. Let us hear from you, Mel!

Mel Keilwert October 9, 2019

Thank you very much for this detailed reply, I was trying to mess around with parent/child pages so this will for sure help. I will run this through and let you know. 

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Thanks, @Mel Keilwert ! Glad to know I was able to provide some help.

Let us hear about your findings!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events