Bug or feature? Confluence links's HTML tag differ when using Search and Browse

Kristian Klima November 8, 2018

Confluence generates different HTML tags depending on what method you use to create intra-space links.

When using 'Search', the following is html is generated:

<ac:link>
<ri:page ri:content-title="Tables"/>
</ac:link>

When using Browse:

<ac:link ac:tooltip="Tables">
<ri:page ri:content-title="Tables"/>
</ac:link>

Notice the BOLD text.

In both cases, the page name is Tables.

The Browse method may cause issues when using Scroll Translations.

See, when using the Search method, translators may ignore the tag in the string as the localized version will use the page name from the translated linked page automatically.

However, the Browse method might require translation of the text in ac:tooldip= snipet - otherwise the English (original language) text will be shown in any localized version.

Has anyone experienced the same/similar behavior?

We're using Scroll Versions and Scroll Translations.

2 answers

1 vote
roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2018

Hi @Kristian Klima,

when using Scroll Versions, the only supported way to insert links within the same space is to use Browse (this section is added after the app is installed). When using Browse Scroll Versions will automatically link to the version of the page selected in the Version Picker: https://help.k15t.com/scroll-versions/latest/link-to-pages-in-a-versioned-space-153653456.html

In Scroll Translations, the actual Confluence page title in not renamed when translating it, and ac:tooltip="Title" is added to be able to translate the link text, while letting the link lead to the correct page. 

Does this answer your question?

Roman.

Kristian Klima November 14, 2018

Hi Roman.

I believe there are two supported versions, as the documentation states.

In English version, I created two links to a particular page (translated to 7 languages).

One link was created with the SEARCH method (link to Master page), second link using the browse method. Predictably, the HTMLs were different.

Mind - the linked text and the linked page title were identical.

I exported the page as XLIFF, ran a mock translation, and imported the translation back to my Space. In the translated version, both links displayed the correct link over the localized page title.

In other words, the Search method generates the desired result - link appears in a localized form and leads to the localized page.

Am I making sense? :)

Kris

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

We're using Scroll Translations, too & always translate pages using the XLIF export. I didn't recognize this difference using this export. It seems you're doing the translation on the Confluence storage format. We haven't tried this.

Best

JP

Kristian Klima November 9, 2018

Thanks, JP.

The code difference is inserted on Confluence level - prior to translation export.

We'll run another round of localization exports next week and I'll use one page as a test bed to see how the code difference influences behavior in a controlled environment.

We're using XLIFFs too, but switched over only recently - let's see how the imports pans out.

Best, 

Kris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events