Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank page on Edit, Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'innerHTML' of null

Sean Dowd July 29, 2019

I've recently upgraded from 5.9.x to 6.15.4 (server version, running on Amazon linux in AWS).  When anyone tries to edit a page by clicking Edit (or typing e), they get a blank page.  The browser console shows the error below.  View page source shows that the page is not empty.

But if they hold control down when clicking (open in a new tab/window), Edit works as expected.

Nothing shows up in the logs on the server.

com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-editor-v4:editor-resources-v4.js?locale=en-US:5 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'innerHTML' of null
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-editor-v4:editor-resources-v4.js?locale=en-US:5
at com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-editor-v4:editor-resources-v4.js?locale=en-US:5
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at Object.initialise (com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-editor-v4:editor-resources-v4.js?locale=en-US:5)
at Object.<anonymous> (com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.quickedit:quick-edit-general.js?locale=en-US:18)
at k (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:31)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:32)
at Object.<anonymous> (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:35)
at k (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:31)
at Object.fireWith (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:32)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MichaelD
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hello,

From the support ticket, we identified the cause for this issue was from some JavaScript in the custom HTML being added at the end of the body. 

Removing the custom HTML fixed the edit issues. 

Regards,
Michael

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2019

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for sharing. I've accepted your answer.

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 8, 2019

Hello Sean,

So sorry for the delay in getting a reply to you. Are you still encountering this issue? I've seen this before, but it was caused by a problematic add-on. You can test this by enabling Safe Mode on your instance.

Could you try that and let me know how it goes?

Regards,

Shannon

Sean Dowd August 12, 2019

Thanks.  I Just tried that, but the behavior was the same - blank page on Edit.

[Edited: restarting confluence fixed the issue below]

And now after updating our plugins, I get this when trying to exit Safe Mode (it worked before the plugin updates):

System failed to restore from Safe Mode. Reenabling plugin 'Confluence Mobile Plugin' failed while exiting safe mode.
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2019

Thank you for confirming, Sean.

Does this occur on all pages in Confluence, even if you create a new blank page? 

Do you also happen to be working behind a firewall or proxy? If so, would you be able to bypass the proxy to test if it works without it?

Lastly, does it occur on all browsers, machines, and various networks?

Regards,

Shannon

Sean Dowd August 14, 2019

All browsers, all machines (it's company-wide).  If you create a new page, it goes right into the editor and saves correctly.  However if you then click Edit on that page, it comes back blank.

No firewall or proxy is in place, this effects users at home and office.

Confluence is in AWS behind an application load balancer.  I'm not sure if there's an easy way to bypass that.  I tried ssh port-fowarding 18090 to remote:8090, but login did not work - it just returns to login page.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2019

Hello Sean,

Thank you for clarifying. If the editor is working on new pages and not on existing pages, then it might not be the load balancer causing the issue.

Could you please generate a HAR filer while replicating the file and then create a Support Zip. Then, raise a request at Atlassian Support and include these files on the request.

If you have any trouble, please let me know! 

Once we're able to resolve the issue on the support side, please update this thread with the resolution, so that it can help other users in the future.

Regards,

Shannon

Sean Dowd August 16, 2019

Thanks - just submitted ticket.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

Thank you, Sean! I left an internal comment there as well so the engineer can review this thread if they need.

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events