Best practice for multi-tabbed Excel spreadsheet

I have a spareadsheet with 9 tabs. Users need to be able to view any of the tabs. I've created a page with a heading for each tab label. Under each heading I've inserted the Excel macro to display the appropriate worksheet. At the top of the page, I will (hopefully) put a TOC macro to give users easier access to the worksheet he/she wants to see. (That is, if I can get the TOC macros to display anything. That's a different topic.)

Does this approach make sense? Is there a better way to handle this?

Sally

2 answers

1 accepted

I don't know of any other way to display individual pages in an Excel file.

So I think you've solved it, Sally, but depending on how much data there is on each of the spreadsheet pages are I think you're going to have to wait an age for all 9 sheets to load & render individually.

Can you use {viewxls} from another page or does it have to be attached to the current page? (too lazy to look it up). From the load/render aspect, it would probably be better to have the 9 sheets on separate pages, with next > previous links for navigation.

Sorry for the delayed response, Kathleen. I put them all on one page and waited for some feedback from users. We don't wait an entire age for it to render; just a couple years. I haven't heard any complaints yet but I'm going to do a sandbox page with the next buttons. That's a capability I haven't used yet and would liketo have in "Ye ole bag-o-tricks."

Thanks again for the suggestion!

I think that's were all of us think of having an alternative tool. I have been maintaining school database which has multiple tabs around 10-15. Every time I use that sheet its a biggest challenge to me. Of late I came across this tool with which I registers and have been developing a liking for that its CollateBox http://www.collatebox.com/ it allows me to create different views of data and though which I can immediately refer to which ever sheet I am required to.
Sally give it a try for once. It might do wonders for your use case..

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

588 views 20 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you