Best practice for handling multiple versions of a space (software documentation)

Hello,

I have to maintain the documentation for a piece of sofware and on each page I've added a related content macro, and added labels to pages.

Now, a new version of the software is out, and I've duplicated the old space to start updating the docs for this new version. Both the new and old doc spaces need to co-exist, since not all customers will upgrade to the new version and we can't just drop support for the old version.

PROBLEM

Now the related content macro of course shows pages both from the old and new space. So it seems I have two choices:

1. Edit the labels in each and every page, and add a suffix, such as mylabel_v2

2. Edit the related content macro on each and every page, to only include the new space

In both situations I'm looking at a very painful and boring procedure of doing the same change to 200+ pages.

Is there a more elegant solution? Is there a way to bulk edit a common element on a page? Is there a macro I should have used to wrap the related macro with, that would have allowed this? Is there a way to bulk edit labels, which allows adding prefix/suffix to a bunch of labels?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Mihai,

I am not 100% on how to accomplish all the changes but utilizing the CLI tool would be a good start.

Confluence Command Line Interface

It can be used to automate mass changes in Confluence. Maybe it can help with the changes we are trying to make here so I would adcvise investigating.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew, I will take a look at that :)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,908 views 27 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you