Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic style settings - eg font sizes and paragraph spacing

David Fountain January 20, 2021

There does not seem to be any way to modify the properties for the various styles in a Space.  The default settings have the fonts way too large and the paragraph spacing too extreme.  Is there any plans for customization of Space styles in the future?

I could not find any feature requests in the Confluence Issue Tracker, but I can't believe I'm the only one who would like to do this.  We don't need full-on custom CSS, just some basic control over font sizes and spacing.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

You have hit on one of the major limitations with the Cloud -- the inability to style it to some sort of corporate standard. Your instance looks like everyone else's more or less.

1 vote
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi @David Fountain,

Welcome to Atlassian community!  I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately, a change of font settings is not possible for now. There is no Addon for the Cloud solution to this problem. So far, only Confluence Server has a solution, see Styling Fonts in Confluence (Server) . To learn more about the typography of Atlassian products, please see Atlassian Typography .

You are not the only one who solved this problem, you can look in the thread Cloud: how can I edit the font and fontsize of specific parts of a single confluence page? 

The only addon that addressed the ability to set Fonts is probably draw.io - Customise default colours, fonts, styles and the draw.io UI in Confluence Cloud 

Atlassian registers several requests to change fonts:

Cheers

Pavel

0 votes
Annelotte February 15, 2022

There is a feature request open for this (has been for years apparently)
You can vote for it, you never know they will finally listen!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-36137 

0 votes
David Fountain January 21, 2021

Thanks for the replies guys, I kind of suspected that this was the situation.  I had already seen those 3 Atlassian suggestions.  I note that 2 of them are Closed and I have already added a vote to the one that is still open - even though it is not quite what I am looking for.  Personally I like the idea that at a Page level the formatting options are limited.  It helps to ensure uniformity across the pages and stops people fussing with formatting options.  What I think Atlassian should offer is the ability to define at the Space level a set of options for the font family, size and paragraph spacing for each of H1..H6 and Normal Text.  These settings would then apply across all pages in the space.

This could easily replace the Space Settings..Look and Feel..Themes tab which is just currently sitting there mocking us at the moment :-).

David Fountain January 21, 2021

What is the best way to lobby Atlassian for a resolution to this issue?  I'm not convinced that adding a Suggestion is the most effective way.  Surely Atlassian are aware of this problem and have a view on what the future holds in relation to theming/styling.  The presence of the Theme tab in Look and Feel suggests that Space theming has been a consideration for a very long time in the product, but they have made it impossible in the Cloud product for now.  You cannot even create your own themes.  Perhaps this issue is tied up with the move to the new Editor and the change of back-end page rendering technologies.  I would love to know what Atlassian are thinking on this issue - I note the post they made about being able to switch between the old/new editors, but that does not really explain what the future holds.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

You can sign on to watch (plus vote for) this issue CONFCLOUD-36137  But don't get your hopes up as the issue has been open for more than 8 years.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events