Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid email notification someone clicks on checkbox on confluence

Grégoire Seux January 19, 2019

Hello,

my company uses checkboxes a lot on confluence pages, mainly for design documents where we ask "reviewers" to tick boxes when they've read the doc and when they agree to the proposed designed.

By default, when someone tick a checkbox it produces the following result:

- it sends to all page watchers email notification

- it adds this person to the watcher of the page

The former is actually bothersome because it means a lot of people will receive a long email (for a weird reason it shows usually the full page instead of the just a precise diff like it usually does).

Is there a way to disable notification (individually, by page or globally on confluence) when checkbox are ticked?

Note: I've read many other questions with similar keywords that are all related to: disable notification on page update by unticking  _notify watchers_ checkbox. Those are different questions. I've found no existing questions on this website related to mine (maybe not using the right keywords).

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Grégoire Seux January 22, 2019
Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

@Grégoire Seux

Cool. Today I learned smth. Nice job digging this up and thank you for sharing.

With kind regards

Mario

1 vote
Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2019

Hey Seux,

Clicking a checkbox is internally just a page update.

You can disable Autowatch in your profile individually, which stops the effect that you get added as a watcher if you update a page (or tick a task box)

Watchers always get notifications at page updates so to stop notifications entirely you have to evade watching pages with task boxes and relymore on @mentions or site sharing for more targeted updates of your team.

Kind regards,

Mario

Grégoire Seux January 19, 2019

Thanks for your quick reply!

I understand there is no way to prevent checkbox ticking to update the page.

Would you know an alternative to checkbox to mention someone and ask him to confirm he agrees with the document?

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2019

Hey Seux,

the easiest way would be a @mention of the reviewer in a comment of the document. This way only he gets notified and he can simply answer on the comment.

Another way would be to share the  page with the reviewer.

It all depends though on what permissions the persons involved have. If for example the reviewer or the createor gave no comment permission this won't work.

Basically it is hard to consult from far without actually knowing your business case.

If I had helped you it would be nice if you mark one of my answers as correct.

With kind regards,

Mario

Grégoire Seux January 22, 2019

From whatI understand there is no way configure this, the only way would be to change the way we write those design documents.

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events