Automation in Confluence?

Christian Axén February 17, 2015

I've read several times here at Atlassian Answers that if you have to do stuff in Confluence several times you should automate. I guess you would do this to work more efficiently. I would like to know more about that concept in Confluence, how you utilize automation in your instance of Confluence and why this is important you. Examples would be great.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2015

Another thing to take advantage of and is somewhat like automation for less techy people would be templates. If you have certain types of documentation that you create on a regular basis you should consider standardizing the creation via a template.

Christian Axén February 19, 2015

I agree, templates is a must. Space templates would be great.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2015

You use the Copy Space addon to get space templating-like functionality. You would create a space that acts as the template and then copy that space when you need to create a new space.

3 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2018

Hello,

You could use the Power Scripts for Confluence add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219507/power-scripts-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

It is a free add-on. I've found Power Scripts for Confluence really handy for Confluence admins who want to automate their work and apply bulk actions to Confluence.

Maria October 25, 2018

Hi Alexey, 

I'm a newbie and not that techie... I would like to inquire if you know the best practice in creating the release notes in Jira where we can link an epic/stories (for every update on the tickets or projects)? 

Benjamin Feagin Jr July 6, 2020

Power Scripts requires access to the admin console and is not accessible to typical Confluence users.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2020

@Benjamin Feagin Jr You can create scripts in the admin console and then surface them on pages via included macros.

Benjamin Feagin Jr July 6, 2020

Typical users cannot access the admin console and thus can't do this. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2020

Sorry, what I meant is that an admin can create the scripts and then surface that for regular users via the included macros.

2 votes
Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2015

Take a look on the Command Line Interface

Christian Axén February 18, 2015

Thanks Steve!

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2015

I believe that script runner is coming to confluence soon which is another way to do it

Christian Axén February 19, 2015

I will look into that, thanks.

0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2015

It depends what exactly you mean by automation, but I suppose those answers refer to the REST APIs the Confluence (and all other Atlassian tools provide). And the APIs are very extensive, you can basically script (automate) quite a lot

https://developer.atlassian.com/confdev/confluence-rest-api

Christian Axén February 18, 2015

Could you give me some examples of when this could be useful? I'm not a developer so this is way too difficult for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events