Automation for notification on page publishing

Nathan Nicholson April 23, 2024

Hi,

We have a release notes section to a couple of spaces and I wanted a way to use Automation to notify groups of Users when content is published.

There is lots of other content in the space that doesn't require people be notified. This information, however, is something we want all members of certain groups to be notified when it is updated.

We have a parent page of release notes, this page has years as child pages and each year has quarters as child page, showing the release notes.

My thought was to add a label to the pages I wanted people to be notified of when they are published. That way each time we update the page with a new release note everybody would know.

I put a condition in place and said IF {{page.labels}} contains release-notes then ......

Nothing happens though. Is that how you are meant to evaluate labels and their values? I tried it using page.labels.url contains and equals as well but still no luck.

If I change the IF to something simple like page.title then the action gets executed as I would expect.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

The Better Content Archiving app offers a flexible feature for general-purpose custom notifications .

A notification config looks like this:

configure-notification-scheme-cloud.png

In your concrete use case, create a notification with:

• Enabled!
  • Select your preferred schedule (once a day, once a week, etc.). You can configure any custom schedule.
  • Write the CQL that selects the pages to notify about. For example: label=release-notes AND updated > now("-1d")
  • Select the user groups to notify as recipients.
  • Configure a custom email template in which you explain the purpose of the email to the recipient.

Note that even if there are multiple release notes updated, there will be a single "digest" email sent that includes all the updated pages! It effectively avoid "mail-flooding" your recipients, thus helps adoption.

A short video to see this action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSB1d4Kb1Kk&t=16s&ab_channel=Midori

(Discl. it is a paid and supported app developer by our team. Free for 10 users!)

0 votes
Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

Hi Nathan!

Have you tried using the CQL condition:

space = xxx AND label = release-notes

Here is a resource with the CQL syntax:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/cql-fields/#label

Jeroen

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM