Automatically changing link texts possible?

Christian Weiß January 28, 2014

Hi,

let's say I have two pages called "My Sample Requirement" and "Page B".

On "Page B" I'm creating a link to "My Sample Requirement" with the link text "My Sample Requirement". (so it's the same as the title)

Now I'm changing the page name of "My Sample Requirement" to "Some Other Name".

The link on "Page B" still works and points to "Some Other Name", however the link text still is "My Sample Requirement".

Is there a way to have a "dynamic" link text which automatically changes when the underlying page title changes?

In a perfect world, I would think this even further and would love to have a way to use a "page property" as the link text. So it would be great if you could choose between "Custom Link Text", "Page Title" and "Page Property: xyz" as the link text.

Some background on why this would be interesting:

We want to use Confluence as a requirements tool where every requirement is a page. The page title is a short identifier and the page also has a page property called "User Story" which explains the requirement in one sentence.

We are sometimes linking to those requirements based on the title and sometimes based on the "User Story" property. However, since those fields change quite often during specification time, it's hard to always manually change the incoming links as well.

thanks in advance for your help and best regards,

christian

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2014

It actually already does this. When you create the link just go to the link button and search for the page and let it populate the name. If you override the text of the link then it will use your override. However, if you let it populate the link text then it will change if you change the page name. I'm on version 5.1.3. I'm not sure what happens before 5.x, but at least in my version it already does what you are asking.

Christian Weiß January 29, 2014

hmm... yes, you are right. after trying it again it worked as expected. I must have made some mistake the first time. :-(

but a way for binding the link text to a page property doesn't exist, does it?!?

Davin, thanks for your time!

best regards

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2014

Nope ... no page property ability.

Patrick_Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2014

Is the same thing possible with links to anchors?

Like Artem Somushkin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events