Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic two-way links in Confluence?

Fabregas4 December 15, 2021

I would like to document my IT setup in Confluence Cloud.

For example, here's the pages I had in mind:

• Homepage: lists all servers and a link to their page. So in the list, clicking "Server1" takes you to the page Server1.
  • Server1: has its own page describing it. Also contains a list of services running on that server, and a link to them. For example links to Service1 which runs on Server1.
  • ServerN: same as above
  • Service1: has its own page, links back to Server1
  • ServiceN: has its own page, links back to ServerN
  • Backup page: table listing some services and their backup instructions, including a link to them

So I have all these interconnected pages, and would like to know if I can avoid creating all these links manually. Is that possible in Confluence? So for example, both the Server1 page and the Backup page link to Service1, is it possible for the Service1 page to automatically include to these pages that link to it? Some other wikis have a "pages that link here" macro.

1 answer

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hello @Fabregas4 

The use cases mentioned in the scenario are possible using different macros in Confluence.

For example, on the Home Page, you can have the macro to chow the child pages where all the pages for servers (and others) would be reflected.

Similarly, you can look at the native macro library and select the one best suited for your needs while creating the pages. All of this is really intuitive in Confluence.

Let me know if you need any help with a particular use case.

Kindly accept the answer if this helps.

Fabregas4 December 16, 2021

Thanks @Gaurav . I think I need to explain more about what I'm trying to do.

This will be my page hierarchy:

• Servers
    • Server1: has a table containing link to ServiceA and ServiceB
    • ...more servers
  • Backups: has a section containing a link to ServiceA
  • Services:
    • ServiceA
    • ServiceB
    • ServiceX: depends on ServiceA, so contains a link to ServiceA

In this case, I would like the ServiceA page to automatically link to Server1, Backups, and ServiceX, because they all reference it. And if I create SomeRandomPage and link to ServiceA, I would also like to see it in ServiceA's page.

In some other wikis, links in one direction can be used to automatically generate a link in the opposite direction.

The parent/child hierarchy doesn't help here. I would see by looking at the tree on the left that ServiceA is a child of Server1, but it wouldn't tell me that ServiceA is referenced in the Backups and ServiceX pages, unless I add those links manually.

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hello @Fabregas4 

Thanks for explaining the use case. Based on this, I would suggest using the combination of macros called 'Page Properties' and 'Page Properties Report'. These 2 together should help you implement this.

The details and steps for implementation are mentioned in the documentation.

Please let me know and accept the answer if this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events