Automatic Login

Lloyd Kinsella September 6, 2011

We are using Confluence within another web application and would like to automatically sign users into Confluence from within our system, what are the options available?

What we'd like is similar to all the other web applications we use, in that with their API we can just supply a username/password and get back a token we can pass on to the login screen. However there doesn't seem to be such as system for Confluence that I can see?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Seraph, which Confluence uses seems to allow multiple authentication methods outside of SSO:-

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF256/HTTP+authentication+with+Seraph

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2011

It does, Seraph is the library for authenticating users. Most SSO options for Confluence are plumbed in via Seraph, it's not SSO in itself.

2 votes
Vivek Shanmughan January 4, 2019

Is there a better way to do this? I want users to automatically login to confluence from my web application so that they are not prompted with username/password while accessing a confluence link

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

This posting is 7 years old, but actually, Seraph is still in use if you want to do it that way.

There are a lot more options now though, but they all boil down to "you need an SSO solution that works for your web application as well as Confluence".  (Seraph is one of these, and Atlassian use it for their applications)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2011

This is "Single Sign On" (which is not quite a username/password token thing - once someone logs into a SSO system, they can log into all the other systems that are in the same SSO setup, but there's no up-front exchange of username/passwords really)

Confluence does work with SSO systems - the most obvious one is Atlassian's own Crowd, but it can be hooked into others. The important thing here is what SSO systems your other web-application can provide or be hooked into?

As far as I understand they don't provide any other mechansim apart from simple API calls, and this is all pretty well integrated now too so moving to some other system would be very problematic, I was hoping Confluence would be just as easy to integrate.

The API does have a login() call but this seems only for API calls :(

Seems Seraph does what I want?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF256/HTTP+authentication+with+Seraph

If I run login.action?os_username=*****&os_password=***** that seems to go through.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events