Attachment Maximum Size

Bernardo San Juan January 19, 2015

Hi,

We are using confluence OnDemand, our Attachment Maximum Size is 48.15 MB. What would happen if for instance we increase it to 1 GB. I guess that would translate into poor performance. However, we do have a lot of training video tutorials and we would like to use confluence as a knowledge management tool. Any suggestion for dealing with heavy loads of data in confluence? Any other approach suggested?

Cheers

3 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2015

Don't do it!  As Nic says, Conluence is a wiki not a file system. If you keep the attachments in the db you will find backups and upgrades take much longer. JIRA also has a limit of around 50k attachments per issue due to the underlying file system

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

Agree with Nick. We have used a few different strategies, such as utilizing Box Enterprise (whose maximum file size is something like 5GB, and storage is unlimited) but lesser tiers in Box and other dedicated file-sharing options such as Dropbox and Google Drive could be explored and be fine for your purposes.

With Box and our Server version of Confluence we are able to display entire folders in Box on a wiki page, making the user's experience very visual -and intuitive - and in context - i.e. navigates through Confluence pages, lands on page with a Box folder, can see any instructions or information we wanted to accompany the files on the Confluence page and then can navigate through that folder in Box, while still on the Confluence page. Appropriate permissions have to be set in Box for what non-logged in users can see/do.

We accomplished this using an available macro (I believe the iframe), but more feature rich Box connectors are available in the Marketplace through vendors such as AppFusions and ServiceRocket.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

Yes, Confluence is not a file management system, it's a wiki.  It doesn't handle large files too well.

But you'll run into another problem quite quickly - Cloud only allows you 25Gb of storage.

I suspect your best option is simply to store large files elsewhere, on a system optimised for it, and link to them from Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events