Attaching a changing document

L Sloan February 7, 2019

I would like to link a word document to my confluence page that will have updates and changes. I don't necessarily want viewers to have the ability to change it but I would like to make sure they have the most up to date content version available. 

It seems that when I create a link or attachment, the document will not reflect the updates I create since the link/attachment was made. Meaning if I link it on Monday, and modify the document on Wednesday. When I follow the link it won't show Wednesday's changes.

How do I get around that?

4 answers

0 votes
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

Hi @L Sloan,

Have you thought about moving the content from your Word file into a separate (edit-restricted) Confluence page instead of linking to an attachment?

That could also help with driving Confluence adoption away from Word. If you still need a Word file of this page at any point, you could try the default Export to Word functionality coming with Confluence, or alternatively our Scroll Word Exporter.

Just a thought :)

Cheers,
Nils

0 votes
Jan February 7, 2019

You could also attach that document to a page and set the link to the attachment. If you then edit the document from Confluence, it will always have the latest version on the link - and a history available if necessary. With the space permissions and page restrictions you can easily define, who should be able to view and who should have edit rights,

0 votes
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

Hello @L Sloan,

as @Tyler Brown suggested I would use Google docs or Sharepoint and then provide a link to your page to the original documents, which will be always up to date. 

Best regards,

Jakub 

L Sloan February 7, 2019

Ok it sounds like I was on the right track I just need to play with the options a bit more.

Thank you both!

Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

You are welcome. 

If you found your answer, please mark the answer as "accepted" so it can possibly help other members of the community in the future.

Have a nice day,

Jakub 

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

Hey L,

Do you use Google Drive?

If so rather than uploading a Word Document you could provide a link to a view only version of your document.

Tyler

L Sloan February 7, 2019

I am using OneDrive. I've tried adding a link but it seems to give editing access and takes them into the document vs. a preview like other Word attachments do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events