Atlassian Companion not opening Excel files after update

Tom Meagher November 20, 2020

Ever since the recent update, we have been unable to open .xlsx files via Atlassian Companion.  We get the error that the file extension is not allowed. 

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? 

2 answers

0 votes
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2020

Hi @Tom Meagher ,

A bug was introduced in Companion 1.2.3 which incorrectly blocked the opening on XLS and DOC files. We have since fixed this and released a new version, Companion 1.2.4. Please upgrade to the latest version (you can force this by quitting and restarting Companion if you are on the .exe or .dmg installer). 

See the release notes here

Regards,
Alex (Developer at Atlassian)

Mark Higgins November 23, 2020

Hi Alex,

I have version 1.2.5 and it is happening to me :-(

info: adc:file-manifest 2020-11-24T01:55:17.250Z Launching custom protocol for Window. With args:["C:\\Users\\higginmc\\AppData\\Local\\atlassian-desktop-companion\\app-1.2.5\\Atlassian Companion.exe","--allow-file-access-from-files","--original-process-start-time=13250656516461076","atlassian-companion:%7B%22link%22:%22https://confluence.ucsservicing.com.au/rest/token-auth/api/previews/templinksresource/companion/attachment?attachmentId=39682825&jwt=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJqd3Quc3ViamVjdC5jb25mbHVlbmNlLXByZXZpZXdzLnRlbXBsaW5rc3Jlc291cmNlIiwicXNoIjoiNGVjNjI3ZTUxZjBjZGJhNzEwYjY4NmIxOWMxNjVjZDZiNDMzM2UxZDFjNjFkYjAwYzIxNWVlMjY1MmM1ZDRjNiIsImlzcyI6ImNvbS5hdGxhc3NpYW4uY29uZmx1ZW5jZS5wbHVnaW5zLnByZXZpZXdzIiwiZXhwIjoxNjA2MTg0NzE2LCJpYXQiOjE2MDYxODI5MTYsInVzZXJLZXkiOiJlM2UzZTM5OTY2ZWRmMzE2MDE2NmYxODkyZDJlMDA2NiIsImp0aSI6IjhhN2U3ODUxLWVhNmMtNGM3OS04YmIyLTAyMzZmMWY2YjBiYSJ9.9XY_u1NqOYxB_dm26bPfxe-xaFjsH7iTk8cBST_M_0A%22%7D"]
info: adc:serverauth 2020-11-24T01:55:17.254Z Found trusted domain in database: confluence.ucsservicing.com.au
error: adc:ServerFacade 2020-11-24T01:55:17.675Z Could not get temp link information:
error: adc:ServerFacade 2020-11-24T01:55:17.676Z SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
at JSON.parse (<anonymous>)
at Function.json (C:\Users\higginmc\AppData\Local\atlassian-desktop-companion\app-1.2.5\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@atlassian\birdy\dist\response.js:84:21)
at Request.awaitJson (C:\Users\higginmc\AppData\Local\atlassian-desktop-companion\app-1.2.5\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@atlassian\birdy\dist\request.js:293:96)
error: adc:ServerFacade 2020-11-24T01:55:17.676Z SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2020

Hi @Mark Higgins ,

Is this a new issue? Have you been able to edit files from this instance before? 

This is definitely a different issue than the one reported in this community post. The file is not being blocked because it can't be downloaded in the first place due to what appears to be an authentication issue. 

What version of Confluence are you using? Do you have a transparent SSO in front of the Confluence instance? I'm guessing this is an authentication issue, whereby Companion cannot authenticate with the JWT token alone. The error with "<" indicates that Confluence is returning a HTML page (the log in page). 

Regards,
Alex K (Developer at Atlassian) 

Hi Alex,

thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, it has always worked fine, and it is working for others in my organisation and so I believe it is something to do with me.

We have Confluence 7.8.1 and it was upgraded on the 9th Nov, 2020.

We have a F5 in front of Confluence, is that what you mean by transparent SSO?

Mark.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the heads up, it was the F5. 

Mark

Like Alex K likes this
Danila Bystrov December 30, 2020

Hi, Mark! Have you somehow find a solution to make Atlassian Companion work with confluence behind F5? 

Like Alex K likes this
Mark Higgins January 13, 2021

Hi Alex,

We discovered the issue, in that here at Unisys, we run two VPN's. We run the company wide VPN, that allows us access to the Company wide data, and then we run our Business Unit VPN, where we spend most of our time. Confluence lives in the BU environment. When I had both VPN's active, the Company VPN took precedence, and the companion would then go off into the wider Company looking for Confluence and could not located it.

When I shut down the company VPN, all was well.

Mark

0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

Hi @Tom Meagher 

I have not run into this on Confluence 7.5. Can you give us a little more context, like:

What version of Confluence server did you upgrade to?
And what browser are you using?

Thanks,
KGM

Tom Meagher November 20, 2020

Sorry, to be more clear, I think this is an issue with the Atlassian Companion rather than Confluence. 

We are on Server 7.3.5, and have been for some time.

This behavior started after the Atlassian Companion was updated to ver 1.2.3

We are using Chrome

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

No problem :) Sorry, I am afraid I don't have any help to offer. Except create a support ticket if no one else here chimes in...

All the best,
KGM

Like Tom Meagher likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events