Are there any limits to the use of tagging on confluence pages or attachments?

We are in the process of determining our knowledge management approach.

We are using tagging extensively on content (content=pages and attachments). Principly, because we can establish many-to-many relationships between content easily. In somecases an item may have 10 tags even more. We do this to drive dynamic page content through "Content By Label" macros and to remove content redundancy.

If we have hundreds (or even several thousands) of pages in a space and each page is tagged 10 or even 20 times, how will the system perform?

Does anyone have any experince of when use of tagging starts to degrade or how one might avoid perfomance degradation?

What did the developers intend to be the limits of tagging usage when the product was designed?

3 answers

0 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Jul 25, 2014

There is a limit to how many labels a page can have. It currently set to 500. I'm not sure what the limit for attachments is, but it is probably the same. As for performance you should not have any issues.

Davin Studer Community Champion Jul 31, 2014

Did this answer your question?

Ok I understand the design limit. I was looking for answers and experience from other users also.
0 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Aug 03, 2014

Confluence is designed to handle that kind of data. We have thousands of pages in multiple spaces that are also labeled multiple times and have seem no impact.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

103 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you