Are there any document classification approaches already built-in Confluence?

John Scripolus August 4, 2017

Are there any document classification approaches already built-in Confluence?

2 answers

0 votes

Thanks for the answer

But, I want to classify documents not pages

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

Documents you attach to a page, like in a content management system?

Yes, specifically the documents are in Google Drive.

I want to classify them in Confluence

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2017

Maybe I'm looking at this from the complete wrong angle, but wouldn't you create a page with metadata that describes the document? Maybe you are looking for a tool that derives this metadata from the document in Google Drive?

The closest to this I know of (and this is not very close ;-) ) is the Share Link Blueprint. It allows to create a page in Confluence with (some limited) metadata from a webpage. I know of no such tool for a document.

We use blueprints (together with third-party add-ons) to describe resources and then list and reference these resources from within Confluence. But the categorization is done manually and the reference to the resource is a link (or URI). The number of documents we deal with is quite limited, though.

The document is not a first-class citizen in this approach. I assume that is what you are looking for.

So the problem is as follows:

There are documents in Google drive with different areas like development, training, support.

I need a system in Confluence that can somehow link these documents of Google drive into Confluence and classify them based on some approach.

And then I want to simply search for these documents.

Hope you can help.Thanks a lot!

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

Sorry, but besides the very simple use case, I can only point to add-ons on the Marketplace, for instance Confluence Google Drive for Confluence Cloud (which is free and therefore may account for as built-in - from the monetary point of view).

There are a couple of other integration options with third-party add-ons, but I have no experience with any of them. But maybe this provides some insights into options available on the different platforms (i.e. Cloud or Server).

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

Are you looking for classification schemes or tools to classify pages (not documents?)?

For classifying pages Confluence provides labels and page properties. Blueprints take advantage of both. Each page created with a blueprint is automatically labelled and listed on an automatically created index page. Page properties allow to specify a blueprint-specific set of metadat.

An example is the Product Requirements Blueprint.

So this may be the closest to a built-in classification scheme, since each blueprint defines a document type with a set of metadata.

Maybe user templates support your use cases, too. They can be created from within Confluence, while blueprints need to be developed as a separate project.

Needless to say that there are plenty of add-ons on the Atlassian Marketplace that support many use cases around this topic ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events