Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive a page in confuence

Dinoj D December 10, 2013

Is there any method to archive a page(s) in confluence?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Dinoj,

Yes, you can do that. I regularly moved whole sets of pages to our archive space. It's never a problem. And you can move them back again if necessary, though you do have to remember where they came from. :)

Cheers.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Instead of "remembering" you could specify where the page originated with labels.

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2014

Or just save all the efforts and use the Archiving Plugin for Confluence and let it "remember" instead of you.

It will create the archive space automatically for you, it will also make sure that the archive space is hidden (not cluttering your search results, for example) and remember the original location of the page structure by re-creating the original page tree in the archive space.

And it does it fully automatic in the background.

Read the documentation

Like Nasos Economou likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2016

Archiving Plugin is great if you are using Server but no so if on Cloud. The 'create your own archive space' works fine in the cloud and it is free. smile

Like # people like this
mparsley May 11, 2017

Hey Jack, what did you mean with "create your own archive space"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2017

What I have done is to create a Space or even a page within a space called "xxx Archive" and then move obsolete or outdated pages under that Space or Page. I ususally will denote "THIS PAGE IS OBSOLETE" at the top of each page I relocate there. I do this when there may be some value in the future of having access but I don't want it to be in the mainstream of readers purview. If I want to hide completely then i do so page restrictions as Peter refers to below. If I don't want at all then I delete.

Bryan Lim February 1, 2018

Jack, Is there a way you identify which are obsolete or ready for archive?  And any chance you know an automated way through queries or out of the box tool to do archiving or page retentions?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

@Bryan Lim, obsolete is subjective. If I'm the author I can be confident in declaring them obsolete. Obsolete generally means the information is out of date and has been replaced by another page. 

Lillian Shibata-Salley February 6, 2018

Question - just trying out Confluence and saw we only have 25GB space - if we archive in a separate space, that still consumes the space allocation. Is there anyway we can archive old projects without consuming space?

Søren Jacobsen February 7, 2018

If the project closes, I would suggest exporting it and storing the export somewhere. "Archive spaces" in Confluence are just a regular space that will consume space like any other content you choose to manage with Confluence.

David Andrew Rasmussen March 21, 2018

I wanted to ask how to export a branch into a zip archive

Janet Harvey October 6, 2021

this may be old info but I am wondering if @jack or someone could talk more about compatibility between the Better Archiving plug in and AWS. We are migrating to AWS and trying to assess how this will impact our Confluence space.

0 votes
Horst Gutmann December 10, 2013

Could you please elaborate a little bit on how you define an "archive" for old pages? This can be as simple as moving the pages to another page or creating a container-page within a space to move "old content" under.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2013

Dinoj,

There isn't any built-in functionality for this, so you have to do it manually.

You could consider doing the following:

1. creating a seperate space for archived content
  2. moving all the old content there.

If you do that, and then set that space to be 'Archived' (in the space admin area), then the content won't appear in the normal search results.

Users have the option to add archived spaces to the search, but only after they've run the initial search.

This means they can still access the content, but it won't clutter up the current search results. Obviously you would have to set permissions on the archived space to allow users to see it.

Cheers.

Dinoj D December 10, 2013

Thanks Peter.

One question to Mick, If we archieve a space then we can move pages to archieved space?

Or we need to make the space as "Current" and then move the pages?

Thanks.

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2014

@Mick

you do not need to do the archiving work manually. Use the Archiving Plugin. It does exactly what you wrote (creates a separate space, hides that, copies pages there and allows freely experimenting with the permissions) and offer many features to make it automatic and simple.

Scott Paden January 8, 2020

I didn't see an "Archiving Plugin" for Confluence Cloud.  Does an alternative exist for Confluence Cloud?

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2013

Hi Dinoj,

You could set page restrictions so only the administrator could see it, look here for more information : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Restrictions

You could also simply delete the page, it will still be available in the trash bin under the Space Admin (if you remove it from the trash bin it's gone)

Best regards,

Peter

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2014

@Peter

I'm against deleting content (unless you are 100% sure that it was a draft that will not be needed ever in the future).

The Archiving Plugin archives your outdated pages totally transparently and offers a much more convenient and repeatable process for these type of problems.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events