Anyone recently migrated their wiki from dokuwiki from Confluence?

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

I found few questions and article dating back few years. So would like to know if there is a better way. Any challenges you faced during the migration? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance

Sri 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hello there Sri!

Well, each migration is a one off effort. Other admins experience with this can be quite useful indeed!

In the meantime, you could start by taking a look at the Universal Wiki Converter. The UWC is an tool aimed at migrating content from other wikis into Confluence. This tool involves scripting, coding and possibly some consulting on your end.

This tool, is by no means, a "one-click" procedure. This can help you to migrate content, but will not do everything for you.

Here are some links to UWC:

Universal Wiki Converter - Overview

Universal Wiki Converter - Installation

Also, there is a section that tackles the DokuWiki migration. Here you will have more details on it:

Universal Wiki Converter - DokuWiki Notes

Hope this information helps you to kick-start this migration Sri!

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Thanks for the response. After reading few articles online, this is where I have started. It works for most part. 

1. I am having problem with attachments. They are being uploaded correctly but when I hit edit, it is shown as unknown attachment.

2. Full links to my wiki are not converted to confluence format.

eg. mywiki.com/abc to confluence.com/abc

3. Also, unsure how to address same page titles

Let me know what you think.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Toggling Collaborative Editing on to off and back on resolved the attachments issue.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2019

@Diego 

Would you know how to set creator name and time through Confluence API?

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2019

We finished our migration using UWC to latest confluence version. They were some hand banging issues. In the end, everyone is happy with the migration.  

We didn't import history of pages or creator/creation times. 

Like Jack Crowe likes this
GrandmaBetty October 6, 2021

I am trying to convert our Dokuwiki to Confluence. Unfortunately the links provided above are not accessible anymore.

I've set up UWC and a temporary local instance of confluence.

The conversion indeed works but I have a major problem.

In Dokuwiki, from the main start page on, we have many subpages which have their own start page within a subfolder, e.g.:

pages
│   start.txt    
│
└───subfolder1
    │   start.txt
    │
    └───subfolder2
            start.txt

Now the problem is, UWC seems not to detect those different start.txt files as subpages, instead it puts all of them into the root of confluence workspace so the Dokuwiki root start.txt will be converted and then overwritten by the converted subfolder1 start.txt which will then be overwritten by the converted subfolder2 start.txt.

The result is that confluence has only a single converted start.txt.

Is there any way we can avoid this behaviour? I know UWC is not a one-in-all solution but I cannot believe that UWC is that limited either.

Thank you in advance.

Like Jack Crowe likes this
Christian Dähn March 9, 2022

Here the problem of the non-unique start.txt was solved:

https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/DC/DokuWiki+To+Confluence+Migration

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events