Any easy way to copy MS source with embedded pictures into Confluence?

Ed Treijs February 2, 2012

Using Confluence 3.3.3.

We want to capture the emails (created/distributed via Outlook) that are used during troubleshooting in a more permanent, accessible, and searchable collection of wisdom. I would like to use wiki, but....

A lot of these emails contain pictures, typically screen-shots of misbehaving applications. When I copy such an email and paste into Confluence 3.3.3 rich text editor, the text is fine but the pictures are missing.

The demand from the group is that it be easy to generate the wiki pages from the emails. Is this possible given the starting point?

The unfortunate alternative is to paste these emails into one or more Word documents and save them to SharePoint. The pasting into Word is easy and the images copy over fine, but I don't think I can make a SharePoint document library to be anywhere as easy to access, navigate, and browse as I could a group of wiki pages. So I hope we don't have to go there.

Any techniques to do this copy?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2012

If you've got the Office Connector installed, you could try the "word importer" instead of "drop into sharepoint". It works really well for formatting and layout, although I'm not sure about the pictures, as I've never tried them.

Later versions of Outlook use the office renderer internally for emails, so you might be able to persude Outlook to generate Word formats directly (instead of having to copy and paste)

Have I understood this correctly: do you mean copying the Outlook email into Word, and then displaying the Word doc in Confluence? I did that and it works, but the steps are

1. Paste into Word doc
  2. Save Word doc
  3. Attach Word doc to wiki page
  4. Add {viewdoc} macro

I don't think this is easy enough for people to accept this. (And I am not in a position to mandate it.) Still looking for an 'easy' way to get this done.

(The fact that it won't be easy to find anything on SharePoint or in a honking long Word doc will only become obvious much later. The ease or difficulty in creating the items is the only thing that will be obvious at the start of the process.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2012

No, I meant

1. Paste into Word doc
  2. Save Word doc
  3. Click Tools -> import Word document

It converts the document into a wiki page (or a series, broken down by headings, if you've a honking long Word doc that should be broken down!)

We're using an Adaptavist theme. There is no "Tools" menu or icon. I'll have to ask the wiki administrators about this. At present I have no idea how to actually carry out the simple steps above. :-(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events