Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anonymous Group Not Available

dianals March 23, 2021

In my Confluence, and it may be something accidentally done a few years back, there is no group or user for Anonymous. I need to be able to open up a few spaces to public access but now can not find a way to do that. Is there a way to restore the Anonymous group back?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

I just thought of something new.

Do you have public links  enabled?  If you do, this disables the anonymous access function - you can only have one or the other!

dianals March 28, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  — in my support ticket with Atlassian, it turned out that had been activated and was why the Anonymous function was no longer working.

0 votes
dianals March 25, 2021

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I've got a ticket with Atlassian open now to try to figure out where my Anonymous options went :)

Patds May 14, 2021

Solved it in the same way. Thank you.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

Ah, no, the "anonymous" group is not a group, it's inserted by the code and handled differently.  You should remove the anonymous group you have added, as it is misleading.

It has to be done that way because a group is a list of users, and the point of "anonymous" is that you do not know who the user is - you can't put someone into a group if you can't identify them!

So, on to the solution.  To allow anonymous access to a space, you do not use groups.  You use the "anonymous access" section at the bottom of the space permissions page, below the users and groups sections.

If that section does not appear, or is greyed out, then your Confluence does not have the required global permission to allow anonymous access - if you enable that, then the anonymous section will become usable in each space.  

Note that I cannot remember if the free plan Confluence Cloud allows anonymous access - that may also be hiding it.

dianals March 24, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - thanks for your help here. I am on the Standard Plan and have more permissions controls. I've attached two screenshots of my Global Permissions screen and then a Space Permissions screen. I still seem to be missing anywhere to enable Anonymous.Confluence-Global-Permissions.pngConfluence-Space-Permissions.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2021

Hmm, on the global permissions page, there should be a tab called "anonymous access" between JSM and Apps.

I do not know why you do not have it - it appears on the free version (but with a warning that it can't be changed) and in all the standard Cloud systems I've got admin access to (even the ones where I am only a Confluence admin).

So I'm a bit stuck.  Maybe get another admin to look at it?

Like dianals likes this
0 votes
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2021

Hi there,

Quick question, are you the space admin for your Confluence?

"If you're a space admin, you can assign a set of space permissions to a group rather than to each individual user. And as a page creator with 'Add/Delete Restrictions' permission, you can also add and remove page restrictions for groups." 

If you have the appropriate access you should be able to set up a third group outside of the two default Confluence groups for anonymous users.

Let me know if I can help further 😊

All the best,

Laura

dianals March 23, 2021

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your assistance here. I am the admin for my whole confluence account and I did create a new Anonymous group but still when I try to access that space, I get the requirement to log in to Confluence.

Is an account required even for public access?

Thanks for your help here.

Diana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events