Announcement banner automation

Alex Bunk October 29, 2018

Using Confluence server, is there a way to automatically update a site-wide announcement banner? We'd like to show IT incidents in the banner location, if/when they arise.

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2018

@Alex Bunk,

Using the Announcement Banner for Confluence plus your IT incidents would be a manual process. The banner gives you access to an HTML area where you can code your announcement - - - then enable or disable for the public.

If you would want some automation, I would recommend submitting a feature request here:

https://trello.com/b/Jx9YBCex/announcement-banner-for-confluence-features

Also, please vote for the close button feature :) A lot of users who don't want to see your IT help desk message will want the option to close the banner (which takes up space at the top of your page).

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2018

Hi there, Alex.

From the description that you provided, I believe you would like to have the announcement banner appear automatically when a specific incident occurs within Confluence. While there is no default feature available on Confluence to do this, there is an add-on that is scheduled to have the feature "Scheduled announcement set up" in the roadmap.

Meanwhile, can you please let me know how you plan on feeding the incident information to Confluence that can help the instance understand when the banner should be shown? 

Alex Bunk October 30, 2018

Hi Ahmad,

We were planning to have Confluence reading incident information from a web link and display the content as a banner. So, if the content is empty there is nothing to show. This means we cannot use the scheduling feature since we wouldn't know when an incident occurs. The web link content would be sourced ONLY if an IT incident has occurred that we want to inform our general Confluence population about.

If there are better ways to feed in external content as banner text please let me know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events