Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchors not working to link to words on the page, how can I link to a specific question number/word

Jeannette Osbaldeston August 18, 2021

I have tried anchors the way defined in your help guide but they are not working. 

I need the ability to provide a hyperlink to a specific FAQ #

I built an FAQ page and I can successfully link to tab pages - but when I use anchors to link to questions on those tabbed pages or to children pages linked to the parent page I cannot. I am using include page links for question categories which go to child pages, and I have also tried using expand variables on the parent page.

I have tried these syntaxes with no luck:

1. tab page on FAQ page (parent) named Onboarding
    question #14, anchor = {videos}
    link = https://confluence.prod.aws.jpmchase.net/confluence/display/GTIDBUS/8.0++FAQs#onboarding#videos

2. include page alert on FAQ page, expand variable anchor name {alerting}
    alert page question #4, anchor = {grafana}
    links = https://confluence.prod.aws.jpmchase.net/confluence/display/GTIDBUS/8.0++FAQs#alerting
    https://confluence.prod.aws.jpmchase.net/confluence/display/GTIDBUS/Alert#grafana

1 answer

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Hi  @Jeannette Osbaldeston 

welcome to this wonderful community 
Linking to a tab can be tricky (have look on this useful article here) I made similar experiences. What is important is to get a unique “Link ID” for the tab

• URL format when linking to a tab in the same Confluence space.

[page-name]#[tab-link-ID]

• URL format when linking to a tab in a different Confluence space.

[space-key]:[page-name]#[tab-link-ID]

From what you've written:

1. Wouldn't the # be #Onboarding question to get you to the tab?
  2. Same here: #Alert page question

Mentioned alternative as it may not work out in article is using tab-id - in your case as I see it is:

• aui-uid-14
  • aui-uid-4

in html macro => please see article as mentioned! Worked for me.
Feel free to ask for more help!

Jeannette Osbaldeston August 23, 2021

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  The issue is I cannot get to the location on the page I need.  I can get to the tab/child page - but it only goes to the top rather than to the location on the page

This instruction: [space-key]:[page-name]#[tab-link-ID]

Is this : GTIDBUS:Alert#grafana

#grafana is the link ID which is 2/3 of the way down on the page - it only returns to the top of the page having the anchor

Jeannette Osbaldeston August 23, 2021

Also maybe worth nothing, the anchor I am using lets you set an Anchor Name - I only get the one field - so there is not another field for ID.  For tabs yes there is an ID.  But for the question number on a page I need to link to [space-key]:[page-name]#anchorname

Jerome Rougnon-Glasson January 27, 2022

I have exactly the same issue:

1. Edited document A
    1. Created anchor "XXX" in the lower part of the document, so that focusing on it requires to scroll-down.
    2. Created a link "jump to XXX" referencing "#XXX" somewhere else.
  2. Now when I click on the link, I have the choice to open the link into another tab, when I do that, the browser opens a new tab, opens the right document A, but IT DOES NOT JUMP down to the anchor. 

I am sorry, but it is a really basic and extremely necessary feature. Such cross links feature works in any editor even in most simple markdown editors and it should work!

Please explain me how to work around that.

Thank you in advance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events