An unexpected error occurred during step: Migrating users and groups. Error: We couldn't migra

Sean Dowd September 10, 2019

71% - An unexpected error occurred during step: Migrating users and groups. Error: We couldn't migrate your users because you will exceed your user limit for Confluence Cloud. Upgrade your cloud plan and try again.

I'm trying to migrate into my existing server license (50 user) and have about 150 current users, 100 of which are disabled.  When I did a test migration, all of the users migrated along with the spaces I selected.  I then ensured that the disabled users were disabled in cloud.  No problems.  But when I tried the exact same thing on my existing server license cloud trial, I got the error above.  (The percentage is useless and has nothing to do with the number of users migrated.)  Since I have no way to select which users are migrated, I had to try deleting users from my current server version.  This means I now have anonymous references in data going back 8 or more years.

Why does trial migration on an existing license work differently than a regular trial one?

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Brito _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hello Sean,

The trial for Cloud products don't have users limit, so you can have unlimited active users if you have an annual subscription, then it's limited to a certain number of users per application.

We do have a feature request to improve that behavior:

Improve import validation to check for licensed users instead of active users when target Cloud instance is on Annual Plan

The way the import works, it will look for active users currently on your site, and for those active users coming with your backup, if it exceeds the license number then it will throw this error.

Of course, we understand your frustration and we are working to improve our products especially our migration tools.

If you need any further clarification, please, let us know.

Thank you for posting this it will help other customers with the same problem you had.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events