All Admins Can See Personal Space - Confluence

We have 3 Admin users in "confluence - administrator" group and I am one of them.

I created a personal space and made it private. However, other admin users can see my personal space when they click on my name and my Personal space. I restricted view for "confluence - administrator" group it still doesnt work...

How do I make personal Space visiable by only me and not other Admins, or maybe confluence have a special rule for Admins that they can see everything at all times?

21 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer
I think it's normal that other admins can see a private space. I don't think tweaking the space permissions will help at all. However, you can edit the page restrictions on the home page of your personal space and make it viewable only by you. This will work up to a point - your content will be hidden but another admin could visit the space and see the Advanced and Admin pages, and so see the list of restricted pages. They could then remove the page restrictions to make the content viewable again by other admins. I think the moral of this scenario, whether you like it or not, is you need to trust your other admins. :)

yes. you are right. there is no way to have Personal Space really personal. i trust the admins but other users asked to have that feature but cant do it.

Try the below:

"Go to your space, click Browse --> Space Admin. Then click the Permissions link on the left hand side. Remove everyone other than you. People will still be able to see your profile, but not your space."

i looked in there and everything seems normal... It might be a bug???

anyone? *bump*

Perhaps it has changed since this question was asked, but i'm on confluence 5.8.14 and I believe I have confirmed that personal spaces can in fact be hidden from everyone. 

1. I created my own personal space
  2. I have only myself set in its Space Permissions
  3. I created a page in that personal space
  4. I didn't even bother setting restrictions on that page
  5. When I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I can see my personal space listed
  6. I logged in with my test account who has the Confluence Global Permissions as both a Confluence Administrator and a System Administrator
  7. Using this account, when I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I cannot see my personal space listed
  8. When i try to go to the URL of the space, it doesn't allow me to see it
  9. When i try to go to the URL of the page in that personal space it doesn't allow me to see it. 

Hi Geoff,

their is a big difference between a regular Confluence administrator (any user group with "Confluence" and/or "System" admin permissions checked) and the Default "confluence-Administrators" Group. That Group in particular is a super-user Group and users within that Group can see all content. Please find  further description in the official Confluence documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/global-permissions-overview-138709.html#GlobalPermissionsOverview-Comparingtheconfluence-administratorsgroupwiththeadministratorpermissions

Cheers,

Florian

Maybe, and this is a shot in the dark, add the admin group (under Groups) and set ALL that groups' permissions to "X".

will give it a try

this didnt work either... Will look into restrictions instead.

What version of Confluence?

I think it's normal that other admins can see a private space. I don't think tweaking the space permissions will help at all. However, you can edit the page restrictions on the home page of your personal space and make it viewable only by you. This will work up to a point - your content will be hidden but another admin could visit the space and see the Advanced and Admin pages, and so see the list of restricted pages. They could then remove the page restrictions to make the content viewable again by other admins. I think the moral of this scenario, whether you like it or not, is you need to trust your other admins. :)

Confluence 5.1.4 (Download)

I don't think this is true. You shouldn't be able to see another person's private space unless they've allowed you to. If they haven't given you permission to view their space, you should only be able to see their profile. Cheers.

this is the permissions table for personal space.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,099 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you