All Admins Can See Personal Space - Confluence

fcukinyahoo August 18, 2013

We have 3 Admin users in "confluence - administrator" group and I am one of them.

I created a personal space and made it private. However, other admin users can see my personal space when they click on my name and my Personal space. I restricted view for "confluence - administrator" group it still doesnt work...

How do I make personal Space visiable by only me and not other Admins, or maybe confluence have a special rule for Admins that they can see everything at all times?

21 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013
I think it's normal that other admins can see a private space. I don't think tweaking the space permissions will help at all. However, you can edit the page restrictions on the home page of your personal space and make it viewable only by you. This will work up to a point - your content will be hidden but another admin could visit the space and see the Advanced and Admin pages, and so see the list of restricted pages. They could then remove the page restrictions to make the content viewable again by other admins. I think the moral of this scenario, whether you like it or not, is you need to trust your other admins. :)
fcukinyahoo August 20, 2013

yes. you are right. there is no way to have Personal Space really personal. i trust the admins but other users asked to have that feature but cant do it.

1 vote
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2016

Perhaps it has changed since this question was asked, but i'm on confluence 5.8.14 and I believe I have confirmed that personal spaces can in fact be hidden from everyone. 

1. I created my own personal space
  2. I have only myself set in its Space Permissions
  3. I created a page in that personal space
  4. I didn't even bother setting restrictions on that page
  5. When I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I can see my personal space listed
  6. I logged in with my test account who has the Confluence Global Permissions as both a Confluence Administrator and a System Administrator
  7. Using this account, when I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I cannot see my personal space listed
  8. When i try to go to the URL of the space, it doesn't allow me to see it
  9. When i try to go to the URL of the page in that personal space it doesn't allow me to see it. 
Florian Zöllner [Communardo] August 1, 2016

Hi Geoff,

their is a big difference between a regular Confluence administrator (any user group with "Confluence" and/or "System" admin permissions checked) and the Default "confluence-Administrators" Group. That Group in particular is a super-user Group and users within that Group can see all content. Please find  further description in the official Confluence documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/global-permissions-overview-138709.html#GlobalPermissionsOverview-Comparingtheconfluence-administratorsgroupwiththeadministratorpermissions

Cheers,

Florian

1 vote
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2013

Try the below:

"Go to your space, click Browse --> Space Admin. Then click the Permissions link on the left hand side. Remove everyone other than you. People will still be able to see your profile, but not your space."

fcukinyahoo August 18, 2013

i looked in there and everything seems normal... It might be a bug???

fcukinyahoo August 19, 2013

anyone? *bump*

0 votes

this is the permissions table for personal space.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013

I don't think this is true. You shouldn't be able to see another person's private space unless they've allowed you to. If they haven't given you permission to view their space, you should only be able to see their profile. Cheers.

0 votes

Confluence 5.1.4 (Download)

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013
I think it's normal that other admins can see a private space. I don't think tweaking the space permissions will help at all. However, you can edit the page restrictions on the home page of your personal space and make it viewable only by you. This will work up to a point - your content will be hidden but another admin could visit the space and see the Advanced and Admin pages, and so see the list of restricted pages. They could then remove the page restrictions to make the content viewable again by other admins. I think the moral of this scenario, whether you like it or not, is you need to trust your other admins. :)
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013
0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013

What version of Confluence?

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2013

Maybe, and this is a shot in the dark, add the admin group (under Groups) and set ALL that groups' permissions to "X".

fcukinyahoo August 19, 2013

will give it a try

this didnt work either... Will look into restrictions instead.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events