Alert/Report on Key Word Usage

Christy Draicchio February 16, 2021

I would like to create a report that alerts on the use of keywords on new/edited confluence pages. Is this possible?

3 answers

0 votes
Yuri Makaruk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2024

I would also like to know if this works in Atlassian cloud confluence workspaces, or only on the atlassian community?

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Sorry for the late reply here, but I was looking for an answer to the same question, and have to point out @Dominic Lagger 's answer is unfortunately incorrect, as @Christy Draicchio was asking for alerts about "the use of keywords on new/edited confluence pages".

The instructions and screenshots Dominic provided are, as @Emile Delcourt correctly points out, from this very Atlassian Community site (https://community.atlassian.com/) which runs on Khoros, not Confluence.

In looking for a solution, we're considering writing an external script (in our case using Microsoft's Power Automate) to hit the Confluence API on a daily basis, searching for any  page created or edited in the last 24 hours that contain a particular keyword, and if so, sending an email with the list of pages.

If you want to do something similar:

You'll want to refer to the search API for Confluence Cloud here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/rest/api-group-search/#api-wiki-rest-api-search-get

You might just use something simple like: text ~ "KEYWORD" but you definitely will want the date constraint, like the one I used: created => now("-1d").

Another option is lastModified => now("-1d"), and you can combine them, so:

(lastModified >= now("-1d") OR created >= now("-1d")) AND text ~ "KEYWORD"

This needs to be run through a URL encoder and you end up with something like this:

https://MYSITE.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/search?cql=%28lastModified%20%3E%3D%20now%28%22-1d%22%29%20OR%20created%20%3E%3D%20now%28%22-1d%22%29%29%20AND%20text%20~%20%22KEYWORD%22

This returns JSON, which needs to be parsed, and you need logic to only send an email if there are more than zero results, etc. My colleague is working on that part of it in Power Automate (example).

If this sounds complicated... it kind of is. You could also make it even more complicated (or not, depending on what kind of engineers you have handy) and do it in Python.

OR, maybe Atlassian could release Automation for Confluence finally. Or maybe they have. I'm not on Premium. :-{

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

Hi @Darryl Lee 

Thanks for sharing!

Please read carefully the whole post. Because: my first anwer is "no, you can't out of  the box, but probably with another tool". literally the same answer you gave. 

My second answer was for @Titus only, who asked about the possibility in this community board, which I answered also correctly ;) 

Regards, Dominic

0 votes
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Christy Draicchio 

This is not possible out of the box.

The only thing I could possibly imagine is an app called ScriptRunner for Confluence.

With this you probably could create a new EventListener on "PageSave" and search for some keywords and if result = true, then send an email.

For this, you need programming skills and again, I'm not 100% sure, whether this works on cloud or not :) 

Regards, Dominic

Titus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Hi Dominic,

is there a way to define keywords to be informed about new posts in this community board?

This would be useful for the company I am working for. So we will be informed if a user asks a question about one of our Atlassian addons and can provide an answer as soon as possible.

Regards, Titus

Software Engineer,

SecSign Technologies Inc.

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

Hi @Titus 

Go to your profile settings --> Notifications --> Search alerts and create the keywords.

Regards, Dominic

image.png

Like Titus likes this
Titus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2021

Hi Dominic,

thank you! This is exactly I was looking for.

Regards

Titus

Emile Delcourt February 3, 2022

Can this work in atlassian cloud confluence workspaces, or only on the atlassian community?

Like Yuri Makaruk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events