After upgrading, getting Confluence is Vacant message.

Jeremy Stock April 14, 2021

Upgrading from 5.2.5 to 6.13.20 (I also tried version 7.4.7 initially).
I am able to get the service to start up but when I am unable to access the site and when I look in the logs I see the following in the confluence error log:

02-Apr-2021 22:27:46.895 SEVERE [ajp-nio-127.0.0.1-8009-exec-4] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=404, location=/fourohfour.action]
java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.VacantException: Confluence is vacant, a call to tenanted [public abstract org.hibernate.Session org.hibernate.SessionFactory.getCurrentSession() throws org.hibernate.HibernateException] is not allowed.

4 answers

1 vote
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

@Jeremy Stock  

Please run your installs with a dedicated user like Confluence or something of your choice but not as an Admin

Did you check what user was used to install Confluence first time?

I am still going through the logs

Best,

Fadoua

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

Catalina log has warnings which didn't seem concerning. 

I went back to your original log because the severe is the concerning one. I found the following from Atlassian:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-not-accessible-after-apparent-clean-startup-in-the-logs-317194882.html

Please give a try to their suggestions.

Best,

Fadoua

Jeremy Stock May 6, 2021

Thanks Fadoua, I do not know the original user id that was used to do the original setup. Is there a way to find it?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2021

Yes @Jeremy Stock  check the install or home directory folder's properties. Here follow the steps they are describing:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/start-confluence-automatically-on-windows-as-a-service-172071.html

Best,

Fadoua 

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

@Jeremy Stock  I will go over all the details you shared today, then get back to you no later than tonight. Thank you for your patience!

0 votes
Jeremy Stock June 3, 2021

The issue was with the database and the collation. I had to fix that first and then I was able to get the upgrade to work successfully. 

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2021

@Jeremy Stock 

• Did you copy the changes you made to the server.xml file to the new one(do not copy the old file, copy the changes you made in the previous version)?
  • Are you using docker image?

Best,

Fadoua

Jeremy Stock April 15, 2021

Yep, I used copied over the entries from the original server.xml file to the new one. 

This is not a docker image. It is a stand alone instance running on a VM. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2021

@Jeremy Stock 

My apology for the delayed reply.

• What other changes you made beside the upgrade?
  • New DB? 
  • OS upgrade? Are you a window or Linux user?

Any details can be helpful.

What other errors are you seeing on the logs?

Best,

Fadoua

Jeremy Stock April 23, 2021

Windows server 2021 R2,  Database is Microsoft SQL Server 14. No other changes except for the upgrade of Confluence. 

I install a new Java version to be able to create a new service and that all works.

Here is the current server.cfg.

<Server port="8000" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

<Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">

<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="8090" minProcessors="5"

maxProcessors="75"

enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"

useURIValidationHack="false" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false">

<Context path="" docBase="../confluence" debug="0" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

<!-- Logger is deprecated in Tomcat 5.5. Logging configuration for Confluence is specified in confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties -->

<Manager pathname="" />

</Context>

</Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

</Server>

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

@Jeremy Stock 

I apologize for not getting back to you quickly as I have a lot of emails.

Please see what they suggest in this post:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-startup-error/qaq-p/624859

Best,

Fadoua

Jeremy Stock April 30, 2021

I attempted the upgrade to 5.10.9 and I am getting the same message.

I have tried updating the local hosts file but we use DNS for everything and I can ping localhost and the hostname of the server without an issue (when the entries are in the hosts file and when they aren't).

We have a lot of data and attachments that we cannot lose, how can I uninstall and re-install without losing that? 

I am doing this upgrade with run as administrator, is that correct? 

I did have to install a new version of java and remove and add the service back in but that all worked without an issue.

After starting the service it takes about 5 minutes before I get the confluence is vacant message.2021-04-30 19:33:30 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.553 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.667 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'minProcessors' to '5' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.668 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'maxProcessors' to '75' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.669 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.670 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'useURIValidationHack' to 'false' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.690 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.696 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:30.750 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property. 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.248 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8090"] 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.360 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.363 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8009"] 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.366 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.367 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 918 ms 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.375 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service Tomcat-Standalone 30-Apr-2021 19:33:31.375 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.0.47 30-Apr-2021 19:34:20.806 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8090"] 30-Apr-2021 19:34:20.824 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8009"] 30-Apr-2021 19:34:20.828 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 49459 ms 30-Apr-2021 19:39:45.790 SEVERE [ajp-nio-8009-exec-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp] org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.VacantException: Confluence is vacant, a call to tenanted [public abstract net.sf.hibernate.Session net.sf.hibernate.SessionFactory.openSession() throws net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException] is not allowed. at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:560) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:476) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:396) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:340) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:46) at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:39) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:70) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:58) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129) at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77) at com.atlassian.confluence.util.profiling.ProfilingSiteMeshFilter.doFilter(ProfilingSiteMeshFilter.java:45) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:39) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:70) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:58) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:240) at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ConfluenceSecurityFilter.doFilter(ConfluenceSecurityFilter.java:25) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.BaseLoginFilter.doFilter(BaseLoginFilter.java:148) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:39) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:70) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:58) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:39) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:70) at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:58) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:65) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ZipkinTracingFilter.doFilter(ZipkinTracingFilter.java:54) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:46) at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:716) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:468) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:391) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:318) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom(StandardHostValve.java:442) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.status(StandardHostValve.java:301) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.throwable(StandardHostValve.java:396) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:176) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:502) at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProcessor.process(AbstractAjpProcessor.java:877) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:684) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1539) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1495) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by: java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.VacantException: Confluence is vacant, a call to tenanted [public abstract net.sf.hibernate.Session net.sf.hibernate.SessionFactory.openSession() throws net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException] is not allowed.

Jeremy Stock April 30, 2021

Fadua,
I was able to make changes to the server.xml (protocol) and after that I never received an error but I could not connect to the website.

Here is the server.xml that I used and what the Catalina log file looked like:

<Server port="8000" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

<Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">

<Connector port="8090" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"

maxThreads="48" minSpareThreads="10"

enableLookups="false"  acceptCount="10" debug="0" URIEncoding="UTF-8"

protocol="org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNio2Protocol" secretRequired="false"/>                  

<Connector port="8009" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"

maxThreads="48" minSpareThreads="10"

enableLookups="false"  acceptCount="10" debug="0" URIEncoding="UTF-8"

protocol="org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNio2Protocol" secretRequired="false"/>

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false">

<Context path="" docBase="../confluence" debug="0" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

<!-- Logger is deprecated in Tomcat 5.5. Logging configuration for Confluence is specified in confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties -->

<Manager pathname="" />

</Context>

</Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

</Server>

Catalina log file

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.857 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.958 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.959 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'secretRequired' to 'false' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.962 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.963 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'secretRequired' to 'false' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.978 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:24.984 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.045 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.451 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio2-8090"]

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.577 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio2-8009"]

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.580 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 829 ms

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.594 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service Tomcat-Standalone

30-Apr-2021 21:25:25.595 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.0.47

30-Apr-2021 21:26:14.360 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio2-8090"]

30-Apr-2021 21:26:14.362 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio2-8009"]

30-Apr-2021 21:26:14.363 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 48781 ms

The error on the webpage just says: 500 - Internal Server Error.

Do you have any idea of what I may be doing incorrectly or am missing?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events