Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

After performing a restart of our Confluence server, I get database collation is not supported

Hi!

After performing a restart of our Confluence server, I got the following message:

Database: The database collation 'utf8mb3_bin' is not supported by Confluence. You need to use 'utf8_bin, utf8mb4_bin'.

I was not performing any updates or upgrades. 

Confluence Build Number: 8402 (7.4)

MySQL version: 8.0.30

character_set_database utf8mb3
collation_database utf8mb3_bin
character_set_server utf8mb3

1 answer

We've found that simply declaring utf8 and utf8-bin will not suffice. You now have to explicitly use "utf8mb4" and "utf8mb4_bin."

UTF8 and UTF8-bin is an alias to "utf8mb3" and "utf8mb3-bin" it alone will not suffice.

We don't know why the installation was successful using utf8, utf8-bin but now that Atlassian recommends this, you need to alter your DB, tables and columns to use these formats.

This is outlined here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-manually-744326173.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Watch 4 Confluence apps compete for Best App Demo in September's Appy Hours

Calling all collaborators! Appy Hours on the Atlassian Community is a monthly event where 4 Partner and app vendor presenters go head-to-head with 5-minute demos for the title of Best App Demo. I...

582 views 0 13
Read article

Atlassian Community Events