Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

After pasting an image, get "broken image"

Hi Everyone

I looked through the threads about this issue and mostly have seen people reporting it for years and years.  Not too much by way of solutions.

After pasting an image, get "broken image".  I am pasting directly from the MIcrosoft "Snipping Tool".

Here is an example: " [com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: Missing required attribute: {http://atlassian.com/resource/identifier}value]"

Using FireFox 62.03 and Internet Explorer 11.285.17134.0 on Windows 10 Build 17134.285.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

27 answers

I've had the same issue - Very irritating when we publish our content after having done all that work only to find that the most important pieces can't be seen by our readers.

What works for my team is to save the images (i.e. on our desktop or in a folder) and then drag/drop them in to the document. Not ideal, but better than broken images.

This makes Confluence almost useless for design documentation, as we'll invest hours in creating detailed visual specifications only to have them disappear in a sea of broken images.  Heck, I'm looking at a page of 18 broken images right now, and wondering if I can convince the team to switch back to Google Docs.  

Owen Wallis Atlassian Team May 23, 2021

Hi, where were you pasting the images from? An existing Confluence page? If so did the page have any restrictions on it? Or were you pasting from an external source?

Hi @Owen Wallis

We are also facing the same issue, Is this issue resolved in 7.13.2? Currently we are on 6.15.2. Let me know on the same

Owen Wallis Atlassian Team Nov 11, 2021

Hi, sorry looks like you are referring to Server? My team only owns the Cloud experience apologies.

See my comment from Oct 5, 2021 below.    My issue was observed on the Cloud Instance.  

Owen Wallis Atlassian Team Nov 11, 2021

Hi Brandon, great I can help. Perhaps we can find a time to talk so I can take a look https://calendly.com/owallis

I have the same issue, MacOS, Chrome. Copy image from Chrome Jupyter notebook onto clipboard.  Paste into Slack works fine, proving it's not "user error".  Paste into Confluence appears to work while editing, but then shows up as "broken image" when viewing the page.  It would be great if Confluence fixed this bug.  Thanks!

I found a work around, Don't Use Confluence. 

Wasted hours added images of MS Excel plots which viewed fine in edit mode, but no trace of images when published. Tried Edge and  Chrome , same results. 

What's astonishing is for such a key feature, this has been a reported bug for years and an unresolved Jira item for two and a half years. As usual push back is that the users should try alternative entry methods rather than Atlassian fixing the bug.

Maybe we're meant to buy a Marketplace addon for pasting images as well?  

This makes it very hard to use Confluence at times. It's good to know the issue is not on my end, but I'm discouraged that it has been around for this long.

A couple points about the workarounds made so far:

• I'm convinced it's not an issue either on the browser end or on the image end, because I've tried with 3 different browsers and copying the image from many different programs (Snagit, Photoshop, Teams, MS Word, Paint, and more).
  • I have also tried attaching the image files into the Confluence page rather than pasting them, and I have the same display problem.
  • I've resorted to the really bad workaround of adding white space to my images because any image smaller than around 350 pixels (!?!) shows up as a broken link. This means it's actually impossible to use small icons inline at all in Confluence unless you want them to take up an entire line.

PLEASE fix!!!

I am getting the same issue. I copied some images out of a MS Teams chat and pasted them into Confluence. They looked fine on the confluence page until the confluence page is saved. My work around was to use Windows screen capture (Win-Shift-s) of the images within  MS Teams, then paste that into Confluence, seems to work so far.

Atlassian, please fix this. If the images look fine in Teams, and look fine in Confluence when pasted (before page saved), I find it hard to believe it is some clipboard related error.

Same issue on new or existing documents. 

Confluence Data Center 7.13.0

Google Chrome 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Linux

It works on Firefox 92.

Just had it happen to me for two out of three images on a particular page.

Was using Firefox 94.0.1 (64-bit)

Owen Wallis Atlassian Team Nov 10, 2021

Hi Matt,

Happy to try and diagnose if you can find a time with me https://calendly.com/owallis

Hi,

we have seen same issue with Linux,  Chromium Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) and Atlassian Confluence 7.14.1. 

give : com.atlassian.confluence.content.render.xhtml.XhtmlException: Missing required attribute: {http://atlassian.com/resource/identifier}value

Windows Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit) pasting worked ok. 

Hi Owen - sorry I missed you back in November.  I just had it happen again this morning.

One observation - part of my flow has me take a largish (1150x400px) screenshot to add to a doc.

I notice that, when I paste, sometimes the image displays full size.  When that happens, the publish step will cause the Broken Image behavior.

Other times when I paste, the image will appear resized to fit content width, with the image controls underneath.  When that happens, the publish step will succeed.

Here are some very meta example images that I've made.  I took a screen cap of me making this very post, and pasted it into Confluence.  The first pair of images show that when the image pastes "full width", it will yield the Broken Image error.  The second pair of images show that when the image pastes "shrunk to fit", it does not yield the error (and can be resized back to full width if desired by using the Original button on the image toolbar).

Hope this helps.  I don't check this forum regularly - if it would be best to try to reproduce live please email me and we'll schedule a time.  matt.wilson at olo.com

example1.pngbadoutcome.pngexample2.pnggoodoutcome.png

Like Owen Wallis likes this
Owen Wallis Atlassian Team Jun 08, 2022

Thanks, looks like you are using the legacy editor which is where these issues may be stemming from.

I'll drop you an email to check.

Like Gerrit Berberich likes this

Same issue. We have to upload our images or some of our users won't be able to see them.

Also, every time there's a problem or upgrade, the images in all our drafts break. Separate issue, but related to images and very time consuming to fix. :(

Same issue sporadically on Chrome 84

Hi Rich Stern,

In the past, we have seen if you fill the clear space with white, for example, then the image copies and pastes successfully into Confluence, therefore it may be a snipping tool / User error, it has nothing to do with confluence.
The best will be to attach the images into the Confluence Page rather than copying the page. When you copy, sometimes it may not render properly

And also please follow this article as well and let us know.

Thanks

Yoga

Not sure why this is an "Accepted Answer" - I do not accept it :)

1) 

My point of view: why not fix the bug in Atlassian which breaks images that do not have white space, so these products can be as good as ones from other vendors, and not ask users to perform a duct tape and bubblegum style work around? 

2)

Saving and uploading images and / or editing them is time consuming and painful

3)

I don’t even really understand what space needs to be filled or how to do it. The images are already cropped to just a screenshot.  I don’t believe there was any clear space?

THANKS!

Like # people like this

I've noticed the same issue. Someone on our team just created an article by pasting in images but there was no transparency in them... It seems to work or not work without any discernible pattern. 

"...therefore it may be a snipping tool / User error, it has nothing to do with confluence."

Unacceptable. If I could downvote, I would. Copy pasting from every single other medium to any other medium of choice produces no problems. It has everything to do with Confluence. 

As for https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/when-pasting-an-image-into-the-editor-the-image-is-not-attached-correctly-757729008.html : Where is manage addons? I assume this is outdated.

Sorry to res this necro'd thread - but hey I'm completely unable to give massive tutorials to several teams of artists right now and we're miffed.

I actually edited the above message to apologize for necroing this thread, but surprise surprise clicking submit does nothing and editing my message is impossible. 
Suffice to say I can't get large tutorials to several teams of artists right now and it's super frustrating. Confluence is useless right now. 

Looks like a bug has been created for this issue:

Pasting an image in the editor fails and results in the server exception

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-65792

Same issue on pasting from powerpoint (used to work earlier). Tried with both Chrome (Version 96.0.4664.45) and Edge (Version 96.0.1054.43). Pretty sure the issue is with confluence.

My org recently updated confluence from 6.xx to 7.13.1. This could be a bug in this newer confluence version.

Another thing worth mentioning is that earlier on pasting the image would show up in attachments with an autogenerated name. Now, I don't see any attachment either.

Same issue, firefox 91.3.0esr (64-bit). Horrible user experience

same issue here!!

I am having the same issue.  It worked for years then stopped recently.  In fact it stopped in the middle of a new page.  The first few images worked, then the last couple did not.  

Tried a new page today none worked. 

Symptoms: 

All images are partial  screenshots, directly copied and pasted.

Image and page render fine in "edit mode" initially - but fail when the page is viewed, also fail when trying to re-edit the page.  

It seems like the upload is not being stored properly.

Agree that it seems like the upload is not being stored.  It does not show up under the page attachments view either.

we also have this issue sporadically in any browser... It is really pain in the a..

Same issue sporadically - latest Chrome

0 votes
Nico Alba I'm New Here May 11, 2022

I had this problem this morning. To solve, I logged out and backed in. Started working after that and saw the image "uploading" for a brief moment after cut and pasting. Before it had not.

issue still appears confluence server 

0 votes

Here is what worked for me: 

Instead of 'Pasting' the image, save the image as a file, drag and drop the image file on the page, adjust the thumbnail view (i.e. increase pixel width) to look like the real size of the source image.

My whole team runs into this from time to time, it is incredibly annoying. We have seen it through several upgrades of Confluence Server. Not only that, but sometimes it doesn't even happen with new images. We can edit a page that already has images on it, and when done editing it (just editing text, even, not anything near the images), and the images will suddenly break. What on earth gives?!?!?!!!?!!!!!

0 votes

Same issue here. That's really very annoying and irritating. 

The Confluence workflow gets very unsustainable since we would have to always save any image locally and then upload via upload-image-button. The drag and drop or copy/paste should work normally.

Same with our instance.

We are using Confluence for specifications documents, which means a lot of images. A lot. 

Its very frustrating the users. 

Unfortunately if this will blow up, we will have to look for other platforms. 

Confluence server 

Same issue with Firefox 88 and Confluence 7.6.2, copy image from diagrams.net application on Windows10

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

725 views 5 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you