Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additivity of group and user space permissions

Tobias Schürer January 9, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Space Permissions Overview

Space permission are additive for permissions granted to a user via her group memberships. How about space permissions granted on membership of a group and on the user-level?

We have a space HI and a group C25 that has view permissions on that space.
The user smiru is member of the group C25, so has view permissions for space HI.
Within the space permission setting the user smiru also has create permissions granted to her as an individual user.

Nevertheless, user smiru can't edit pages within the space HI.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2017

They are additive/permissive.  As you say, the C25 membership provides the read access, and the individual user setting should then provide edit rights.

Some questions to start with

1. How many active "user directories" do you have?  (I doubt it's this, but it's worth ruling out)
  2. Are there any restrictions in place on the space?
  3. Can smiru create pages in the space?
Tobias Schürer January 10, 2017

Hi Nic,

thanks for pointing me in the right direction! The issue was indeed page restrictions within the affected space C25. This space is open to external partners, so editing rights are very limited on a per page level. I forgot to add editing rights for user smiru on the concerned page.

The space vs. page permissions still keep fooling me.

For the sake of completely answering your questions:

1. We have one user directory
  2. Pages are restricted, only certain groups and user can view/edit (user smiru did not have editing rights)
  3. User smiru couldn't create pages before modifying page restrictions.

In conclusion, this was no bug, just me overseeing page restriction in the affected space.

Thanks a lot!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2017

Ahh, excellent.  Restrictions always bite me too, I forget that they're there (and that the rules changed a few versions back).  I only responded because I'd run straight into them about 10 minutes before I read your question!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events