Adding in page numbering automatically when page created from template?

Liz Bedwell September 27, 2017

Hi,

I have done some digging around but have not found anything suitable, aside from a plug-in that is not compatible with the Cloud version of Confluence.

I need to find a way to auto number child pages created from the 'Create from template' button on Confluence.

So that the pages would read in the page tree:

> Page Parent

>> 1. Child Page

>>> 1.1 Grandchild Page

>> 2. Child Page

>> 3. Child Page

Essentially replicating the way that numbered headings work in Word.

If anyone has any tips for tackling this or macros etc I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Liz

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2017

Hi Liz,

I've looked into this, and while there appear to be many 3rd party add-ons that could help with this on Server, there is not currently an option for Cloud.

I did find the following feature request, however:

I do recommend that you vote on that issue to help show the requirement, as well as comment on it with your use case to help better understand how we can develop it for your needs, should we choose to implement this feature. You may also want to watch the ticket in order to be updated if there is any progress.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Liz Bedwell September 28, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query.

I have voted, watched and commented on the issue you linked me to.

I hope that it does get considered soon, as it will greatly help our organisation and documentation of a technically challenging project.

Thank you,

Liz

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2017

No worries, Liz! Thank you for your support.

Take care and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
Half Scheidl September 7, 2022

This is a really old post but since I haven't found a solution, I've put together a Python script that using the Confluence API achieves the desired output.

It requires some familiarity with running Python scripts, and assumes you know how to create a personal token in Confluence. Since there might be updates, I saved as a Gist in github.

https://gist.github.com/haschdl/1734535d2f659c3254adb3f7c3df461f

@Liz Bedwell @Shannon S probably not relevant after all these years :D 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events